T top question...

The glass roofs were an option in several tints, yes..blue,. bronze...whatever else is there.

Damned if I can find anyone selling replacement fiberglass T-top panels. The framework and mechanism's all there so I only need the panels.

Anyone know how different the 68-77 panels are from 78-82 panels?

Last edited:
Damnit man, THAT took a bit of work, eh??

:thumbs::amazed:
Yeah, they're not too bad but they're bloody heavy...

I have to say, it looks like they did a good job.

I thought it would have been sheet steel, not 1/4" plate or something....

and therefore lighter than glass or plastic....and yes, they did do nice with them, shame they so heavy...one thing though...can you use them for forms to make outta some other material??

:bump::thumbs:

68-77 panels have a different locking system. Mine have a lock in the front and another in the rear. Both have a lever that comes up under the windshield and rear roof panel respectively. I know you can make a simple mod to use a later roof panel in an early car, but not sure of the reverse.

If weight is your only complaint then put these on a scale and I'll do the same with my fiberglass tops.... I don't expect much of a difference, the fiberglass tops are pretty heavy....

Damnit man, THAT took a bit of work, eh??

:thumbs::amazed:
Yeah, they're not too bad but they're bloody heavy...

I have to say, it looks like they did a good job.

I thought it would have been sheet steel, not 1/4" plate or something....

and therefore lighter than glass or plastic....and yes, they did do nice with them, shame they so heavy...one thing though...can you use them for forms to make outta some other material??

:bump::thumbs:
I could probably use these to make a mold Gene but I just can't be arsed doing it - I've still got too much other to do to tackle that as well...

68-77 panels have a different locking system. Mine have a lock in the front and another in the rear. Both have a lever that comes up under the windshield and rear roof panel respectively. I know you can make a simple mod to use a later roof panel in an early car, but not sure of the reverse.
I knew the mechanisms were different but are the bare panels all the same? Is the framework/mechanism just held to the fiberglass panels with an adhesive?

If weight is your only complaint then put these on a scale and I'll do the same with my fiberglass tops.... I don't expect much of a difference, the fiberglass tops are pretty heavy....
Not the only complaint, they have a bit of ugly going on as well - dunno if you can make it out real well in the photo's but the rear edges are about as straight as a dog's hind leg! I'll weigh one tomorrow though.

Wow, I've never seen those made of steel, but hat's off to who ever tried it! I see T-Tops on Ebay every once in a while. You might have to find one at a time, but they're out there. Ether that or you could opt for new glass tops when the time comes. Don't know about using glass tops in that part of the world though....spent enough time there to cause me to think about it! Glad to be back in Florida for awhile!!!

Dang, those are awesome...I like how clean they are without the ugly edge trimming.

The black frames are from glass tops, someone most likely cracked them and fabricated the sheet metal tops from them...nice!!!