700R4, TV Made Ez - Spring replacement

BangkokDean

I was just checking the web on adjusting the TV cable from the 700R4 trans and the TPI linkage and was reading the Bowtie over drive site and it says that the spring in the valve body must be changed? Is this true?

"If you have a used transmission or one rebuilt by another company, you will need to install our custom length spring into the valve body. This is not an optional step. If you fail to install our spring you will try to run this transmission in an SSS (Short Spring Syndrome) condition which can quickly prove fatal to your transmissions frictions. This is a very simple easy installation but MUST be done!"

TV Made Ez - Spring replacement and shim installation guide sheet

http://www.tvmadeez.com/spring_install/700r4.php

Also they say the TV linkage bracket must be changed?

http://www.tvmadeez.com/tpi/

You do not have a TV Made E for a carb, you can simply run a TV setup from a corvette or 3rd ge F body.

You do not have a TV Made E for a carb, you can simply run a TV setup from a corvette or 3rd ge F body.

The TPI I have is from a F body and the trans came with the motor along with the TV cable. So I was not concerned as they came as a unit. But then snooping the net I came across the spring link,thus the question.

So what is with the spring change suggested by Bowtie?

TV Made Ez - Spring replacement and shim installation guide sheet.

The TPI I have is from a F body and the trans came with the motor along with the TV cable. So I was not concerned as they came as a unit. But then snooping the net I came across the spring link,thus the question.

So what is with the spring change suggested by Bowtie?

TV Made Ez - Spring replacement and shim installation guide sheet.

I have had some of the same questions along the line, for instance they taking all that mainly carb linkage and putting on rocking chair looking crescent pieces so to pull more sooner, I assume.....but on the 700 trans in the motor home with a Qjet, I just used the straight away setup, and it seems fine, so far....trans temps are fine, even in hot summer.....but I just went with the Trans-Go kit and got over with it....and make the cable snug.....

on the vette, due to some krazy induction and cabling things, I put the TV cable from the 200 4r onto the gas pedal directly, and so it seems to be fine also.....

:gurney:

The TV spring changes the rate of the TV pressure- not a bad thing at all. As the TV valve disappears into the valve body, the pressure goes up. That new spring is probably a little stouter than the original too.

Easy change.
With the pan off, and the TV cable hooked up, have someone press the pedal to the floor. The pedal should run out of travel at the same time the valve plunger does.

The TV spring changes the rate of the TV pressure- not a bad thing at all. As the TV valve disappears into the valve body, the pressure goes up. That new spring is probably a little stouter than the original too.

Easy change.
With the pan off, and the TV cable hooked up, have someone press the pedal to the floor. The pedal should run out of travel at the same time the valve plunger does.

The vette and the M/H both do the same, 200 in the vette and 700 in the MH....what interests me is the change in the GM engineering of the pull off with all the crescent rocker stuff....

for a long time after installing my LT1 induction on the L98 engine, construction of the 'hand made' cable hookup between throttle, cruise, and trans left the trans outta the pix....so I went to hooking it up under the dash to the 'gas' pedal....seems to work fine so far....

I understand the principal of the rocker, but earlier trans got by with NO rocker on the throttle body....so why the change???

Easy change.

What is confusing is they say in the page that if you don't change the spring you will cause damage to the trans? But there are so many of these trans out there that are stock and still running fine?:suspicious:

Easy change.

What is confusing is they say in the page that if you don't change the spring you will cause damage to the trans? But there are so many of these trans out there that are stock and still running fine?:suspicious:

Their geometry might be different from the original GM rocker at the throttle body? I know the shift kits I use on the 700's have a different spring and a different TV boost valve spring that go in the TV valve system. The kit I use has a series of mods done to the 2-4 servo and the valve body spacer plate that changes pressures all thru the trans. GM was looking for maximum reliability. No warranty issues. So they went with soft shifts, and burned up lots of clutches.

GIL, is the man with Trans Go....forget his last name....been using his shift kits in EVERY rebuild I have ever done, and had no problems....

and they were used in all the rebuilds I put many a hard miles on before I did my own trans.........

TG knows as much or more than ATI and they too been around a while....

I just wish I had jumped ship outta electronics into ATI decades ago....

Jim Beatty was cool guy, so was Sherman Slye....

another industry/boats I missed....

:flash:

Easy change.

Their geometry might be different from the original GM rocker at the throttle body? I know the shift kits I use on the 700's have a different spring and a different TV boost valve spring that go in the TV valve system. The kit I use has a series of mods done to the 2-4 servo and the valve body spacer plate that changes pressures all thru the trans. GM was looking for maximum reliability. No warranty issues. So they went with soft shifts, and burned up lots of clutches.

So where do you buy the correct spring, and what is the part number?
I probably should change it now before the 56 is driven.

The spring is part of the shift kit. No idea if it's available without the kit.

http://racetransmissions.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=417

^^ this is the kit that I use when I can find them. If not, I use the Trans-Go

The Superior kit calls for cutting .125 off of the center boss in the 2-4 servo. Gives it a little more snap into 2nd and 4th with the new spring. IF you're wanting to make it as bulletproof as possible, you'll want to upgrade the front pump and install the HD sprag. You can also use the clutches and steel plates for a 4L80. They're a little thinner than the standard 700-R4 parts so you can add a couple more into each pack. More surface area. IF you're really into it, you can add a couple more parts to the valve body- 3-4 shift valve and sleeve- this one allows full throttle shifts into 4th. And the hydraulic lockup so you don't have to figure out the electrical end of the lockup.

That link is for clutch pack return springs- not a TV valve spring. The TV spring will either be in a shift kit, or maybe the tvmadez guys have just that spring.

I have been trying to locate someone that sells this spring and so far no luck. I sent a message to BTO also no reply.:sos:

So where do you buy the correct spring, and what is the part number?
I probably should change it now before the 56 is driven.

I just read thru this again. If you have the original TV cable, and are running the TPI, just set the TV cable normally, then back the housing up 1 or 2 clicks and it'll be good. Drive it and see what it feels like. 1-2 shift about 12-15MPH, 2-3 25-30MPH, then 3-4 about 35-40. Shifts should be solid, but not rough.
That will get you up and running. Your best bet will be a Superior or Trans-Go kit and set it up for the HD/Taxi per the kit instructions. The one problem is they also change the pressure regulator springs in the front pump, and you have to have the pump on the bench to get it apart.

I finally am able to drive the truck and it seams to shift OK, but when checking the pressure it is a constant 200 psi even when revving,in gear or moving the TV cable. So I tried Google and found 20 pages on constant pressure after market valve bodies info. I have a stock VB with the new spring installed.
Does any one know what the pressures should be with the stock 700R4 trans?

Last edited: