Moving the gas tank on a C3

baby's got a big back... that's a lot of tank

I love the removal of the bumperettes - that looks really good

I was under the car last night, and calculated that I could build a tank 18x38x8 and have a net volume of 23.6 gallons. That would nestle it between the frame rails, and by being shallow, it'd be easy to baffle (although, I'm considering foam rather then baffles) - and still behind the bumper.

80-82 never had bumperettes

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I was under the car last night, and calculated that I could build a tank 18x38x8 and have a net volume of 23.6 gallons. That would nestle it between the frame rails, and by being shallow, it'd be easy to baffle (although, I'm considering foam rather then baffles) - and still behind the bumper.

Seems to me that you only have to baffle maybe 1/2 way up the tank, and for a foot square or so, if that.....NO?? seems to me that fuel cells hold too little actual gallons for the volume required.....fine for a race car, but for a DD on the streets, not so much unless it's not driven much, like my car, on the way too and from work every day for !10+ miles one way.....

80-82 never had bumperettes

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of the sloped window C3, so it should come as no surprise to anyone that I wouldn't pay attention to bumperettes - they also probably didn't come with cad plated tail lights :)

is there any other issue with your tank? I'm asking because I know someone local who just installed a new repro tank on his '78. poor quality, uncoate, no bladder.... a real POS for $250 .....

my opinion: if you need a new tank anywys then definitely get a fuel cell and lower it while you're at it.....

I have quiet a few other projects so since my tank is perfectly ine it'll stay where it's at until it leaks..... lol

Did I ever mention that prior to my current white-collar occupation; I built and installed stainless steel kitchen equipment? I mention this because my dad still owns a shop in Oregon with the obligatory 200 ton press brake, and 10' 1/8" capacity shear :clap:

The reason for the dimensions listed above was so I could build a stainless tank... probably cost me $100 to build.....

1976-red-corvette-n.jpg

by replacing the tank with a cell in the tire location, I expect it'll be as strong (if not stronger) then it would with the tire.... but none of those cars had a tire in them; so dunno - I'm pretty sure crash testing in the 70s didn't include rear ending.

You can see the containment cover/device in this photo. It's heavy.

1976-red-corvette-n.jpg

by replacing the tank with a cell in the tire location, I expect it'll be as strong (if not stronger) then it would with the tire.... but none of those cars had a tire in them; so dunno - I'm pretty sure crash testing in the 70s didn't include rear ending.

Certainly a point to ponder, but I find myself disagreeing with the assertion - I removed mine and all it's bracketry. It's awkward, yes, but not that heavy. IIRC, metal ring with a plastic cover.

Funny, I just thought of something, if you were rear ended with the tire in place - the tire would drive the rear differential into the passenger compartment; so if anything, it's less safe. You want those rear frame horns to collapse and take the energy - so barring an engineering coming in here and saying I'm all wet - as compelling of an argument could be made against the tire being part of the crash package.

I would agree that the tire is part of the under car aero, and by removing it, I created a place for air to go up into my bumper.... which would be fixed by putting the tank between the rails....

Last edited:
1976-red-corvette-n.jpg

The cover over the tank? Later cars don't have it and it's only thin sheet metal.

If you mean the spare tire carrier, it's just a glass tub with some metal supports

1976-red-corvette-n.jpg

The cover over the tank? Later cars don't have it and it's only thin sheet metal.

If you mean the spare tire carrier, it's just a glass tub with some metal supports

Yes, that steel cover over that tank you can see through the broken fiberglass. It was 10 years ago I took mine out, but it seemed pretty heavy. I could be wrong, but I'd be interested to hear the weight if anyone knows that. My 68 never had it, my 75 did. But, the 68 had been in a rear end accident.

tell me how this spare tire is crash protection?
-EBDC-4A2D-A1B5-229FC128E202-4661-00000458D483ADA8.jpg

Presuming that it gets hit, all it's doing is going under the rear differential (if you're lucky).