Shorter rear with with stock TA

I relocated the hole so that there was just as much material between the hole and the end of the spring as before... measure for example 3/4" between hole and the tip of the spring then i moved it so that there was again 3/4" between the new hole and the new tip of the spring...

For now, I'd just drill a new hole in the old spring and call it good enough for now.... you can always buy a shortened fiberglass spring later. Then at least you get a good comparison between the old and new spring....

This might be more of a project than just drilling a couple of holes. The hole is 1" and the tip of spring to edge of the hole is 3/4". So the end to center of the hole is 1 1/4. If you moved this in 1 inch, you would be into the second leaf and you would have a 1" hole tangent to the old hole (so no material left to the end of the spring)

4500fff722be4d.jpg

You only move one hole, not both. You're shifting the entire leaf over to the new center so you have twice the "meat" to relocate the hole.

21501004991d57a.jpg

Here's the bolt angle after shortening the 9-leaf spring. I used 10" bolts at the time (way too long)....

In one of the christmas threads I offered this spring so now it has a new owner (Brutal64)

215010049944e51.jpg

Thanks guys for taking time to figure this out.
Kastern, this is das smart idea, moving the longer leaf and modify only one end.

I've been contemplating this shortened spring thing for quite some time as my car has been hibernating. This might be just the ticket to fix my issues. I have a few more dimensions to compare first, but this thread is definitely getting added to my list for future reference. :)

Denpo,

What tires are you looking at? Avon and MT's seem highly regarded.

Ralphy

Denpo,

What tires are you looking at? Avon and MT's seem highly regarded.

Ralphy

BFGoodrich radial, just because it's what was there.
Next year, if it's back on the road I'll consider picking new rubber.

I have BFG's I've never really tested them out. However they get ragged on heavily at the Club Cobra board. My car has 295-50-15's. I'm not sure if Hoosier makes a tire. Sooner or later I'm hoping some boutique manufacture comes out with a really good tire, maybe Coker The pickens are slim!

Some guys like to do a little false advertising with a set of stencils.:thumbs:

Billboard?
images

http://www.racelinedigital.com/store/index.php?cPath=6_75

Maybe you didn't find the Grandsport Decal Kits.
http://www.racelinedigital.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_56

Ralphy

Last edited:
You only move one hole, not both. You're shifting the entire leaf over to the new center so you have twice the "meat" to relocate the hole.

Thanks for posting that, good thinking!

Thanks for posting that, good thinking!

I don`t think so, I think if you had the spring tested you might find one side stiffer than the other...

Well, it would be easy to test. Once done and assembled, mount upside down and hang weights. The measure deflection.

I don't need it for a while. And, Tom sells a short leaf.