My 81 Vette Build Thread

Here it is with the front clip removed. How do you remove the front clip on a Corvette? With great difficulty! With patience, you can use a heat gun or propane torch (CAREFULLY), along with a long putty knife or (!) kitchen knife to break the bonds. There are no bolts, only very strong adhesive.

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

There was some damage on the front clip: at the firewall
IMG_0752.jpg

Minor damage on the drivers side rear:

IMG_0751.jpg

A little damage on the bonding strip on the passenger side:

IMG_0750.jpg

Quite the project! Paint is next for mine, but I think I'm going to wait till spring for that one. I know the car was hit in the left front, the repair was okay, but whoever did it basically sanded the fender edge away in the front. Makes me a little nervous about what I'm going to find under the paint....

Quite the project! Paint is next for mine, but I think I'm going to wait till spring for that one. I know the car was hit in the left front, the repair was okay, but whoever did it basically sanded the fender edge away in the front. Makes me a little nervous about what I'm going to find under the paint....

That is the part that always makes me nervous. This one had its share of issues (bondoed crack repairs in a few places), but nothing too major. Fortunately fiberglass is easy to fix.