Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Classic Corvettes

Old 05-24-2020, 07:35 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (679)
Default In lieu of another cuppa'

Chris -

You have had "Eyes-On" these vanes, so maybe you could verify/correct my best guess at their size? I've made my estimate by assuming the bolt heads are about 1/2"/13mm. Do my numbers even look close?

I'm interested as I am just now working a plan to incorporate on my SR as a test (mule) to try out. I've made a smallish splitter and could test each in sequence if I have the time. Meanwhile, I'll wait for your ideas on the size.

I'm thinking of making a pair of plates to secure some rubberized edging (you know - from the big box racing supply store).

Thanks.

Cheers - JIm
Old 05-24-2020, 07:55 PM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (3)

Put me down for a "Thank You, Chris" also.

My goal, as I've stated in the past, is to reduce aero lift and improve the tire grip of my antique, while retaining a stock look when possible. My car is so close to stock appearance that rarely at track days do any (later model) Corvette drivers give my car a second glance. But frequently, after the first or second session, I'm visited by inquiring minds as to why my 50 year old car is filling their mirrors. I don't need to have my self-esteem pumped up by strangers, but I willing admit the inquiries about my car do give me a bit of engineering satisfaction.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:08 PM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
Chris -

You have had "Eyes-On" these vanes, so maybe you could verify/correct my best guess at their size? I've made my estimate by assuming the bolt heads are about 1/2"/13mm. Do my numbers even look close?

I'm interested as I am just now working a plan to incorporate on my SR as a test (mule) to try out. I've made a smallish splitter and could test each in sequence if I have the time. Meanwhile, I'll wait for your ideas on the size.

I'm thinking of making a pair of plates to secure some rubberized edging (you know - from the big box racing supply store).

Thanks.

Cheers - JIm
Let us know what you find. I'm still trying to figure out if the vanes are there to even out/distribute the air mass under the vehicle floor, or if it is there to divert a portion of the air mass out the lower pressure(?) front wheelwell.

Which, gives me some incentive to measure the relative/differential pressures of under my car and the wheelwell area. Theoretically, my front wheelwells should have a slight low pressure, as the front pace car spoiler directs the side-fender air outward/laterally, pulling air out of the wheelwell volume. Given how dirty my wheels get from brake dust after a day at the track, I have to believe that the general direction of the wheelwell air flow is from undercar to outside the car.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:12 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (128)

Happy to contribute what I can!
Jim, Id say your numbers are close to what I would have guessed they were.
Not knowing much about how the air is supposed to flow under these cars, Id say the vanes were designed to direct air out just behind the front wheel, not into it
Old 05-24-2020, 10:52 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (679)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69427 View Post

Let us know what you find. I'm still trying to figure out if the vanes are there to even out/distribute the air mass under the vehicle floor, or if it is there to divert a portion of the air mass out the lower pressure(?) front wheelwell.

Which, gives me some incentive to measure the relative/differential pressures of under my car and the wheelwell area. Theoretically, my front wheelwells should have a slight low pressure, as the front pace car spoiler directs the side-fender air outward/laterally, pulling air out of the wheelwell volume. Given how dirty my wheels get from brake dust after a day at the track, I have to believe that the general direction of the wheelwell air flow is from undercar to outside the car.

That is so cool you're filling their mirrors! Now get to PASSING!

I've found a CFD plot of before and after the vanes added. I can't speak to its "creds" but looks better than my "phony airstream plots" a few pages back!

Top one is before vanes and lower with vanes - car nose is on the right - per the previous plots.

Very obvious with the vanes even showing up in the plot. They are clearly directing the air out behind the wheels. I'm not seeing the "Huge" deltas that were in the images I posted of the centerline pressures. Definitely some, and when I look at it some more - there is a change - but over a large area. Surprising the center area just forward of the rear wheels shows some good increase in low pressure too.

69427 - I'd say you are correct looking at this plot of the -no vane CFD, the pressure differential is showing what you have seen trackside, air flowing outwards. Now, I suggest that these ideas have very good opportunities for use on our "antiques." The underbody CFD is not so significantly different from what a C3 could be - but first gotta clean up all that "STUFF." Like add a full belly pan, sort out cooling, a few stealth areo underbody mods - hey you'll be passing them in no time! And they say, "WTF??!!" Yes, the outflow mid body from the big rear facing exit contributes a lot, but centerline and vane mod - do-able.

This has been fun and inspiring. Thanks Guys. And, (scotch in hand), Cheers - Jim
Old 05-25-2020, 11:29 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (78)

YouTube keeps recommending videos. Lots of extra features.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]