Assistance needed

advancedtooling

Hello,
I am new to Vettes and bought my 1st a couple months back in pieces. The po had started a frame off restoration. The clean up work and painting he had done was very good but when he bagged the fasteners he failed to describe the locations where they belong. Is there any literature out there that will help me determine where the bolts belong?

Thats a puzzle. The AIM shows thr PN for fasteners but dosen't really identify what they are. Maybe someone has made a list of these?

After 1/2 century of working on cars, and shit, I tell you what worked fine for me over the years......I tossed all the old hardware into a bucket, then gasoline them down for a while to degrease and then wire brush them off.....

get a couple saw horses and a chunk of plywood and spread them out, take all similar size bolts and match by thread count and length....start from smallest in one corner, then around the table the way you like, progressing by size and type up the scale.....

so you approach a certain part of the project, you note you need say 3 converter bolts....you know they are X thread/dia/length....must be these 3, same for even head bolts, or any other bunch of bolts.....

some of them rusty, figger they are body/frame/weathered, certainly not a greazy assed old engine.....

that makes it SO much easier.....trying to pick from bag to bag to whatever will drive you krazy in a hurry.....gotta lay them or the bolts out in some sort of easy seen order .......:flash::goodnight:

I'm from the school of "if it fits the hole, that must be the right bolt" - however, were I to do a nut n bolt resto - I'd buy them new from someone like eckler's (of course, they're not even terribly good about segregating the bolts when they box it for shipment; but at least it'd be a clean start.

I think Denpo has a plastified chart telling where all the bolts go.
Cant remember where he took ik.
I'm sure he'll shime in
Paragon, pretty cheap and does the job.
The corvette chassis restoration guide also has a list of bolts.
The AIM can be usefull sometimes.

thanks

I would like to thank each of you for your comments. I too would like to use a complete new selection of fasteners but alot of these are new. I wouldnt need near the extra help had I disassembled the car myself. Of course I would have taken lots of pictures to aid my aging brain cells. My plan is to rebuild and install the front end suspension and steering during this long weekend. If you all know of an online link or thread here on this site that will help me with the identification would you please lead me to it? Thanks once again and I hope that you and yours have a very blessed Thanksgiving.

I would like to thank each of you for your comments. I too would like to use a complete new selection of fasteners but alot of these are new. I wouldnt need near the extra help had I disassembled the car myself. Of course I would have taken lots of pictures to aid my aging brain cells. My plan is to rebuild and install the front end suspension and steering during this long weekend. If you all know of an online link or thread here on this site that will help me with the identification would you please lead me to it? Thanks once again and I hope that you and yours have a very blessed Thanksgiving.
I don't know why but I can't seems to find the Paragon poster on their website anymore. If no one come up with a link to it I'll consider it discontinued and will make send you a scan.
You have the AIM don't you? Because I personnally wouldn't start rebuilding without it, you need the torquing setting, especially for the suspension parts.
And I'm pretty sure if you do "what is that bolt" posts people will will be happy to join the quizz.

I don't know why but I can't seems to find the Paragon poster on their website anymore. If no one come up with a link to it I'll consider it discontinued and will make send you a scan.
You have the AIM don't you? Because I personnally wouldn't start rebuilding without it, you need the torquing setting, especially for the suspension parts.
And I'm pretty sure if you do "what is that bolt" posts people will will be happy to join the quizz.

If you do scan it I would like a copy if I could

If I do copy everyone can get one.
But only if such material can't be found anymore.
See, I'm a hacker but with a little bit of respect for the Corvette restoration economy.

See, I'm a hacker but with a little bit of respect for the Corvette restoration economy.

Wow, I never thought it possible.... to use "Corvette" and "economy" in the same sentence

I've seen "Corvette" and "bankruptcy" in the same sentence or "Corvette" and "mistress".... but never economy.... you're good, realllll good :thumbs:

Wow, I never thought it possible.... to use "Corvette" and "economy" in the same sentence

I've seen "Corvette" and "bankruptcy" in the same sentence or "Corvette" and "mistress".... but never economy.... you're good, realllll good :thumbs:

See, not bad for a snail eating surrender monkey :club:

I have the Paragon poster but it does not list the GM part number, only the Paragon number. So you could get the number from the AIM, go to Pargon's site and search the GM number and then look up the description then go to your pile of bolts and look for it. Or you could do the Corvette Central link I posted and root though the list.

Either way, you are sorting through a pile of bolts.

Thanks guys I will do just that. I do have the AIM and will cross reference.
Denpo I read your 27 page thread this afternoon thank you for sharing your experience.

See, not bad for a snail eating surrender monkey :club:

Brother.... it's like we always have to correct them - it's cheese eating .... it's okay, given the nature of the relationship between Quebec and France - it's completely understandable how you get close, but no cigar :amazed:

Denpo I read your 27 page thread this afternoon thank you for sharing your experience.
You're welcome sir. I haven't updated for a while, but that should change soon.

Brother.... it's like we always have to correct them - it's cheese eating .... it's okay, given the nature of the relationship between Quebec and France - it's completely understandable how you get close, but no cigar :amazed:
Nope, actual froggy here:harhar:

You're welcome sir. I haven't updated for a while, but that should change soon.

Nope, actual froggy here:harhar:

A frenchman in Quebec? whoa, I thought they banned that. Learned something new :amused::beer:

must be quebecois

I don't know, he knows spark plug is French for spark plug