C6 calipers an advantage over C3 calipers?

enkeivette

So, after searching google for an hour and finding nothing I figured it was time for some expert advice...

I scored a set of C6 Z51 brakes tonight thanks to BadAssC6. And I noticed that the fronts are only 2 piston, and the rears are only 1 piston calipers. So... would there be any advantage?

Im going to at least run the 13.5 rotors... but Im debating whether I should do it with my stock calipers or not.

Do I need to run a c6 booster/ master to appreciate the advantage?

IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT FITMENT, STAY FOCUSED. HAHA

C6 Z51 is the same as all non Z51 and C5 stuff with the exception of a larger Rotor. C5 uses a 13ish ich rotor, the Z51 uses I think in the vicinity of 13.5 The oly diff. are the abutments. That said, if someone has the C5 caliper adapter brackets dimensions you can simply use those. In fact, even C6Z06 calipers will bolt to that. I did that on 1 of my 3rd gens. Had C5 calipers w/ bare rotors on it, swapped those to another 3rd and installed Z06 stuff on it, now off again because I want 15" rotors

The discs are all 1.25 wide. These are floating calipers, the pistons extend twice as far as the whole caliper moves over, so in effect they are virtual 4 piston fixed calipers. On floaters, always double # of pistons comparing to fixed calipers because the pistons extend twice as far.

I would upgrade to C5 master, easy lightweight and a lot better looking that a arusty stock C3 MC.

What about running c3 calipers on the c6 rotors?

And is there any benefit to going with a c6 booster? Are the c5 master and booster the same as in a c6?

Why would you want to use an inferior calipers?

No need to swap boosters, would be quite problematic if you ask me, probably different bolt pattern, push rod length is not the same...etc...etc...

And a c5 master will bolt right to the stock booster? And other than looks, is there any reason to go with a c5 master?

Thanks again btw TT!

bolt on, lighter weight, wont corrode, won't leak, can hook up level switch for a warning lamp. You only need to do custom lines. Get adapters, have customs lines made, make yourself... do a search. BBShark and 69427 have topics on it. I used custom made stainless braided lines w/ 2 different ends (metric and imperial)

But it doesnt improve braking??

So technically a c3 master/booster will provide the same braking with c6 brakes, as a c6 master/booster??

I thought I remembered reading about someone on CF who installed c5 brakes and he said the braking wasnt any better, and suspected it was because of the old master/booster.

One thing I think I really do need is a vacuum pump. I need to leave it in gear when Im braking or theres not enough vacuum to stop! Haha

The C5 master has a smaller bore so slightly lighter pedal but more travel.

If one installed 13" C5 rotors and the calipers and braking hasn't improved something is really wrong. Forget the line pressure differences you may see or piston size differences, the brake torque increase alone should make a big difference.

I have C5 calipers on my 88 camaro and it stops on a dime. It's better than the C4 HD 13" system.

The C5 master incl the reservoir sells used for $50 on our most famous auction site.... $150 new.... even AutoZone sells it.... C5 and C6 seem to be different acc to the part numbers on AutoZone's website, although some sellers on Ebay list the master for 97-2012 (C5 and C6)....

Maybe I pick one up so that I can swap it when I install my Wilwood calipers... I'll have to bleed the system anyways because I'll be using DOT3 instead of DOT5 fluid....

If theres no braking advantage Ill prob stick with the stock stuff. Im lazy like that! Ha.

Ill try to get an install thread going next week. Thanks for the advice everyone! Any suggestions on where to score a cheap 12v vacuum pump?

If theres no braking advantage Ill prob stick with the stock stuff. Im lazy like that! Ha.

Ill try to get an install thread going next week. Thanks for the advice everyone! Any suggestions on where to score a cheap 12v vacuum pump?

Harbor Freight???:censored:

I considered this same basic thing (c5 calipers) a couple years ago. After actually taking a wheel off and mocking things up, I determined it was not worth the effort, what I like to call the "shit to worth" ratio. The problem is that the c5/c6 calipers are a sliding design (note, c6z06/zr1 are excluded) requiring far more room behind the spindle to allow for travel. Mounting the caliper either in front or behind the spindle, as in the 2 o'clock or 10 o'clock position, made little difference. On the later cars there is enough of a gap between the upper and lower control arms for the caliper to fit without interference. The c3, not so much. This could be somewhat offset by using a different rotor with a smaller hat offset, but I still think you might have interference issues.
Now, if you could somehow score some c6z06 calipers you would be in business.
Waiting for Marck to come back and slap me around a little.

You can find vacuum pumps 12vdc that are made for ambulances. Gast makes them but most people want too much for them. A Thomas pump is hrder to find but usually cheaper. It's just as good as the Gast.

My 70 will be running with a Hydroboost (aka Hydrobeast). I have SSBC aluminum brake calipers on the 70 as I do on my 68. My 68 has manual brakes. I think I have a braking capability with my C3 rotors that is at the maximum of their design range.

Last edited:
My procharger got into an argument with my power steering pump and alternator for under-hood space. The procharger won. So vacuum only for me.