need some Muncie/bellhousing/shifter measurements

Thanks Wesh for all the great pics and sorry about the mix-up on where you were from over there. I will be ordering the parts this week then give me2 months to get her installed, etc. Your pics and info on that smaller slip yoke is just what I needed to know I can get this done with a Viper unit.

Hi

I'm happy that you can use some of the info.

So you will order a straight fwd Viper T56 , won't you ?

Pls let me know what this will cost + the McLeod bellhousing if possible.

The GM Viper T56 is not available anymore and there are a couple of guys over here interested in installing a T56. The normal Viper T56 has a different input shaft ( I guess ? ) , hence requires this matching bellhousing, or ?

Rgds. Günther

Vince..yes the Viper yoke is 30 splines.

Wesh...I should have a final answer on Tuesday regarding my setup as there are many different ways to approach this project. I will list all the part numbers, websites where to buy, costs, etc. once I get the setup confirmed as I am not an expert in this stuff. As you know..I have contacted you and just about anybody else I could find regarding this swap getting a crash course on clutches, mechanical vs. hydraulic, indexing bellhousings, etc. but I think I got all my $hit together correctly.

Regards,

Rob

Last edited:
Hi

I think genuine Viper T56 uses a different yoke too (30 splines ?).

So does the GM T56 Viper .

I think it's only the input shaft on the GM T56 Viper tranny, that is modified to fir the original bellhousing setup.
And of course the shifter lever is angled off. I guess that the genuine Viper tranny is straight up. I am sure, that the angled shifter stuff is available for retrofitting.

Rob, did I mention jet that the crossmember is too far fwd for the T56.
I cut the manual welded in crossmember out and bolted a auto crossmember a couple of inches further back to the frame, modified the tranny mount seat a bit and all looks pretty original to our bi-yearly governmental technical vehicle inspectors. Using one of the sftermarket tube crossbars could have been a problem here, but that is Europe.:cussing:

modifyed_crossmember_tranny_mount_klein.jpg

modifyed_crossmember_tranny_mount-1_klein.jpg

crossmember_installed_3_klein.jpg

Günther

I ordered my T56 setup today!!! I am very excited about this swap. I don't have 100% of all the part numbers yet so I will list them all tomorrow. In summary I went with the following setup...

In short we are going with the internal hydraulic setup vs. mechanical clutch as this will move the transmission 0.9" further forward compared to using an adapter plate and stock Muncie bellhousing to give us some additional clearance for the longer Viper tail shaft and also the Viper Shifter location is the easiest way this will work for our vettes. Here is a list of all the items I got....

1. SixSpeed, Inc Viper T56 with the following:
A. Front intermediate plate of a LS1 F-body
B. Internal hydraulic clutch setup (we need to use a GM hyrdaulic release bearing as this is what works with the bellhousing)
C. 2.66 1st gear with 0.5 6th gear overdrive
D. Stock Viper Offset Shifter

http://0174de9.netsolstores.com/

2. 98-02 Stock GM Camaro Firebird Trans Am Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder

3. Transmission slip yoke…this is the key part to getting it to fit in the tunnel (thanks Wesh) near the tailshaft running a smaller 1310 slip yoke CHRYSLER 727 AUTO & A833 MANUAL 30 Spline 1310 Series
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/html/slip_yokes.html

4. Bellhousing that will bolt the Viper T56 to 1st Gen SBC RM-6023 - Small Block Chevy Bellhousing to T56 LS-1 Chevy Transmission http://www.quicktimeinc.com/products.html#chevy <http://www.quicktimeinc.com/products.html#chevy>
Depth = 5.555"
Transmission Bore Diameter = N/A
Clutch Diameter = 11" Flywheel = 168 tooth Weight = 17 lbs.
Full engine plate and grade 8 bolts included.
Works with factory Chevrolet hydraulic release bearing.
The lightest steel bellhousing available anywhere (Approx. 17 lbs).
The most accurate bellhousing available due to QuickTime's unique manufacturing processes.
The QuickTime cone is spun, not rolled or stamped.
This allows the QuickTime Bellhousing to be the most dimensionally stable bellhousing available.
Built from high grade steel — Work hardens to over 80,000 PSI strength.
Over 2 times the strength of any other steel bellhousing.
SFI Certified at 6.1.

5. 26 spline Spec Stage 2 Clutch

6. existing stock 11" flywheel can be re-used without any problems

7. Abbott Electric to Mechanical Speedo Converter $310 800-643-5973

8. Reverse lockout active and reverse lights hookup

9. Dragvette Driveshaft safety loop $149
http://www.dragvette.com/ <http://www.dragvette.com/>

10. Miscellaneious bolts, etc. bell bolts, bell to block bolts, shifter with bolts, slave bolts, slave cylinder for the LS1 with the throwout bearing, Clutch alignment tool

Amber from SixSpeeds, Inc. (713)937-4411 was very helpful making sure that all my mix-match parts will work together nicely. She has created a package deal for me by getting/ordering all the parts listed above and then will ship it to me as a single package. I was pleasantly surprised at the total cost and if anybody else is considering doing this swap then I recommend you contact her and tell her Rob from Miami with the 69 Corvette sent ya. She is expecting a new born very soon so be patient with her incase you can't reach her you can ask for Joe. Chris (McSpeed) and I along with a few others are going to tackle this project once we all get our schedules free and we will be sure to post detailed pics of the install process and results.

I will start a new detailed thread after the install with all the pics, details, part numbers, etc. Thanks to everbody like Wesch, Vince, etc. for your valuable input in helping piece this project together.

Cheers...Rob

Hi

What I forgot to mention is that you need to hone the slip yoke holes a bit in order to free flow the U-joint as otherwise you might get problems to install and remove the drive shaft later on. The original M21 slipyoke has boltet on caps.
The 1310 doesn't . I don't know if a boltet cap 1310 30 spline slip yoke is on the market.

Günther

Sorry guys...I have got some bad news. This project is dead as of about a week ago due to the vendors shipping company losing my transmission and then a number of other issues with the vendor/shipping company. I am currently awaiting a full refund.

In theory...all the parts listed above should work just fine according to a number of sources and others who have done this swap. I am now re-thinking of going with a complete LS/T56 take-out from a GTO. The cost with SixSpeeds was about $1,800 then the next cheapest deal I could and I am not about to spend $5,300 on a transmission/clutch/bellhousing combo when for another $1,500 I can get a nice GTO/T56 takeout and then another $1K or $2K I should have a LS/T56 swap completed with some serious HP versus my current 260rwhp L46.