’89 sport seats.

Corvettes White

'89 sport seats.

Since money is tight, our straight A daughter is using the '89 to go to school. (I am so proud.)

I need to recover the seats and the bladders are trash. Anyone use something like those Blood Pressure Cuffs or anything else more durable to replace the bladders?

Any other thoughts?

Tks, George

If they are red seats I know a guy here in Indiana that has a really nice set out of a car you could pick up for a few hundred bucks. I have seen them and they are in really nice shape.

If you want his contact information let me know.

Thanks, I have a new recover kit and foam already as will as some other parts. just short the bladders. I love all those little bottons on the seats. Boy are the C5 seats cheap in comparsion.

I have had a few different ladies tell me this over the years. :devil:

I did a set of these sport seats in my 1990 and honestly wish I would have just gone to standard seats. I know the factory bladders are about 85-100 a piece. Perhaps you can snag a set from another GM car or maybe even a ford. I basically just replaced my bladders with 3/4 inch foam and they are still very comfortable, I was more interested in keeping the electric recline and side bolster feature though.

So I sat down with my 11 year old daughter and we reverse engineered the air bladders for the sport seats. I figured we could just build our own out of a bicycle tube. 26 x 1 ¾ off of Schwinn Cruisers. Now all I need to figure out is how to glue the ends together after I cut it up into 6 pieces.

Any thoughts?

Go to a parts house and buy the smallest inner tubes you can buy, like for a hand truck/lawnmower/etc.....:shocking:

Went to the sporting good store and bought the tube. Now looking for the proper adhesive, I think I found it and will try to pick some up tomorrow, no not available from the home improvement store. Ageing, peal strength, and flexibility all need to be considered.

I would think adhesive is not enough alone. Some type of foldng,banding could be in order. Physical clamping while adhesive merely seals the closed end.

Picked up adhesive from an industrial supply house today. Need one more bicycle tube as I was too sloppy cutting up the first one.

The plan is to sew up a carrier for the tubes in fabric to replace the plastic molded bladder. Any one recommend an upholstery shop in the OC?

George

Adhesive held! (No folds.) Did one sample and pumped it up with the big compresser. Now going on to make the actual bladders. :)

Pump fixed now, made a diaphragm from the bicycle tube. Jasco, who made the pump is no longer around, at least that I can find.

Next problem to attack, the little fitting at the end of the tubes that splices one length to another length. See the attached photo.

anyone know where to get one? Or do I need to make these?

Tks, George

Attachments

• Lumbar Support.jpg
    Lumbar Support.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 11