Wow! What a difference a rear sway bar makes

73 Mike

I'll drive it someday
During aj long drive a couple of weeks ago, I was kind of annoyed at how squeaky the front end was. I knew that it might just be the control arms but thought that it could be the sway bars too. I had an old, rusty site of stock bars on the front and the rubber end links I think were from the second world war.

More later. My wife wants me to look at the vacuum cleaner.

Well that was entertaining. Almost came to violence at Sear's With a "dumb as a lamp post" clerk, but the wife is happyagain.

Anyways, I replaced the stock (3/4 inch?) front sway bar with a VB&P one that was larger in diameter but hollow. It was much shinier too! I then took the car out on my favorite test road and found that while it improved the stability of the front end considerably the rear end would act funny. It was like the inside rear wanted to rise rather than the outside rear wanting to crouch down. I never really pushed the limits but it just felt uncomfortable.

In any case, I had already bought a 7/16, stock rear setup from Clutchdust so I went ahead and repainted it and replaced the bushings with poly ones. Took it out this morning on a lesser flat but winding " test track" and what an incredible difference! I'm not sure if the front and rear are terribly well matched but the stability has improved incredibly in the corners. I swear that the ride has improved too.

First time that I've ever played with suspension on these things. Makes a pretty incredible difference.

Caution. The better you get them, the better they stick. The better they stick, the later they break loose. The later they break loose, the less time to correct it. It's a ruthless chain. Listen to the tires. First sign of chirp, back off.

Caution. The better you get them, the better they stick. The better they stick, the later they break loose. The later they break loose, the less time to correct it. It's a ruthless chain. Listen to the tires. First sign of chirp, back off.

:bomb: Tell me about it......pay attention, he right.....:amazed::quote::crap: