Steering column question

Belgian1979vette

I have a question about my 79's tilt telescopic steering column. I started working on that while in the mean time waiting for my new pump.

Had to replace the ignition lock, so I need to dig in there.

I have the following questions :
- should the lower steering shaft be able to move in and out ? Mine does.
- I already have taken out the C-clip and the turn signal switch is hanging on the side. I notice that the shaft that comes out of the column (smaller shaft removed) does move some and seems to make some noice. Is this indicative for bearing wear ?

Thanks

Yves

I have the following questions :
- should the lower steering shaft be able to move in and out ? Mine does.
Mine does that, mens it has already been collapsed in the past. Shouldn't affect column operation. Make sure the outer body isn't collapsed as well, I had quite a surprise when installing mine (ah the joy of donor parts).

I was thinking this was something like a normal thing..hm

Anyway. I'm to the point where I have the pivot pins out of the tilt mech. However I cannot seem to get the tilt mech to leave the shaft. It keeps on hanging on the ignition rod. How do you do this. The description in Jim's manuals are not really good at this point.

What are the parts that certainly need replacing ?

I was thinking this was something like a normal thing..hm

Anyway. I'm to the point where I have the pivot pins out of the tilt mech. However I cannot seem to get the tilt mech to leave the shaft. It keeps on hanging on the ignition rod. How do you do this. The description in Jim's manuals are not really good at this point.

What are the parts that certainly need replacing ?
If both pivot are out, a bit of wiggling is all you should need. Try to change the tilt position and it should come out.
I personally didn't change anything in my column, just un-collapsed it, made sure the column head is correctly torqued (88 in.lbs by 22 in.lns increment) and that the bearings are clean and packed with grease.
Knowing the quality of your resto, you'll probably want to replace the bearings.

Ok, I just got the tilt mechanism out, but something disconnected. I don't know which of these small parts go where.

IMG_4088.jpg

That sector that is connected to the ignition lock doesn't seem to want to retract. WTF ?

Remove that 1/4 screw at the end of the spring, the gear will pull off the end of the ignition lock shaft. YOu might get the shaft along with it.
When it goes back together, make sure you get the rack with that little curved spring and the gear in the right position- it's easy to be a tooth off and not get enough travel for the start or accessoy position. Been there.

Your parts: Down in the column is the ignition switch rod- from the top it looks like a square. The curve on the rack- (silver with the "D" shaped ring) hooks between 2 pins on the switch rod. That little curved spring goes under the rack at that gear.

YOu do have Jim Shea's papers?

:shocking::hissyfit: I just pray I don't EVER have to get into that TT column again, it's been maybe 18 years now.....:eek::gurney:

:censored:

Remove that 1/4 screw at the end of the spring, the gear will pull off the end of the ignition lock shaft. YOu might get the shaft along with it.
When it goes back together, make sure you get the rack with that little curved spring and the gear in the right position- it's easy to be a tooth off and not get enough travel for the start or accessoy position. Been there.

Your parts: Down in the column is the ignition switch rod- from the top it looks like a square. The curve on the rack- (silver with the "D" shaped ring) hooks between 2 pins on the switch rod. That little curved spring goes under the rack at that gear.

YOu do have Jim Shea's papers?

Tim,

Thanks for your description but it's hard to see exactly what your describing. I put the spring back in, but the spring doesn't seem to exert enough pressure to pull that rod back. It's approximatly in the same position as in the pictures above.

The sector also seems to slide of the rod once back. Not sure if it goes back that far when in operation.

Back when Jim Shea got on line, and I realized who he was, we exchanged some humor over them columns having 2 lbs of shit in a one lbs bag, and he allowed it had to have tilt/tele also.....

MY lament is having to rebuild mine with it hanging in my bench vice, with no one to ask for anything other than a blow up diagram, I can say this much, there are many creative and interesting ways to put one of them together, and they all be RONG@!!!!!:amazed:;):cussing:

Docrebuild seems to be out of stock on a lot of parts, especially the bearings. Anyone still having good replacement parts ?

Thanks
Have a look on ebay, those column bearing are common to several GM cars.
And I'm pretty sure sites like RockAuto have them.

Docrebuild seems to be out of stock on a lot of parts, especially the bearings. Anyone still having good replacement parts ?

Thanks
Have a look on ebay, those column bearing are common to several GM cars.
And I'm pretty sure sites like RockAuto have them.

Bearings I seem to be able to get. I was hoping to find the lock shoes, but apparently these are nowhere available.

Lock shoes? you're talking about the 2 short pieces that lock the tilt? I'll bet those will be impossible to find without another column. Are yours worn or broken? You might see what the upper bowl that has those shoes in it is really called (in Jim's papers) then try and find that complete part.

Lock shoes? you're talking about the 2 short pieces that lock the tilt? I'll bet those will be impossible to find without another column. Are yours worn or broken? You might see what the upper bowl that has those shoes in it is really called (in Jim's papers) then try and find that complete part.

Apparently they can only be had together with the housing itself.