Rear bearings - setting endplay

Guys, what is the approx distance between the inner and outer bearing....thickness of the shim in the middle?? 1" 2"???

Gene,
What I do now is to parallel grind the spacers first, most of them are all beatup and some out as much as 005". Once I have them parallel I use a master shim I ground to see what I need to get me 0015 endplay oiled. I have found one set of spacers was so beatup by the time I cleaned them up the lg diameter end was NG, the radius inside was binding. I had to replace them both, but otherwise most all are reusable. So the shim thickness will vary, those shim kits are total BS, way too wide to dial in sizing to get the endplay. Just another part sold that is not what it seems. I found the shim ranges from .120-.135 most times but I never pay much attention to one job size vs another as long as there is no binding and the endplay is the same from the setup tool to the final torque and check.

Gene,
What I do now is to parallel grind the spacers first, most of them are all beatup and some out as much as 005". Once I have them parallel I use a master shim I ground to see what I need to get me 0015 endplay oiled. I have found one set of spacers was so beatup by the time I cleaned them up the lg diameter end was NG, the radius inside was binding. I had to replace them both, but otherwise most all are reusable. So the shim thickness will vary, those shim kits are total BS, way too wide to dial in sizing to get the endplay. Just another part sold that is not what it seems. I found the shim ranges from .120-.135 most times but I never pay much attention to one job size vs another as long as there is no binding and the endplay is the same from the setup tool to the final torque and check.

Thanks Gary, but I was trying to get straight in my mind how much distance from one bearing to another, roughly....as compared to the front end, for instance....I think the front end is like 3-4" between bearings.....from look of the pix there I say about 1.5"?......just a race to race measure on a tape is good enough.....

thanks....

Karsten,

Quick Question. How did you keep the spindle from turning when you torqued down the flange nut? (Post #38). Also, I believe that the torque is 100ftlbs and you increase the torque to line up the cotter pin holes rather than backing off on the nut?

Paul

This is a slip fitted spindle that I use as a setup tool only - I simply clamped the vice jaws on the hub on the outboard side of the spindle.

During final assembly with the new spindle I used aluminum protectors on the vice jaws and used the wheel studs to prevent the spindle from rotating.
100lbs/ft is not all that much torque, the wheel studs can take it... I tightened a little more to line up the cotter pin hole, did not back up the nut...