Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Workshop > Rebuilding Techniques

Old 01-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)
Default Brake calipers - O ring install

Started another project today: rebuilding a set of calipers with O-ring seals.

I got a set of used calipers, I started with the rear calipers... as you can see on the photos they are already stainless sleeved so all it takes is a good cleaning, measuring the ID of the sleeve to verify it's not too loose and reassembly with new seals and new pistons.

Here's a pic of what I started with:

I pulled the four pistons and removed the seals from one piston to show what it looks like:

You'll find two seals and a spring with each piston.

These calipers were rebuilt with lip seals, I tried to get a good pic of the seals... the lip seal and the dust seal...

Below are two pics of the piston bores and some black crud that I found inside the calipers... nasty....

The pic below shows the seal for the crossover line from one caliper half to the other. Make sure you don't forget to install this seal....

The pic below shows the caliper halves after I hit them with brake cleaner... not too bad compared to what I started with...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 01-18-2009, 02:03 AM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

seen more than a few of them apart....what is the deal??? Linda looked at the screen from across the room and said '" Who's WATCH fell apart?".....

Old 01-18-2009, 02:16 AM
United States | Addict
Cruise-In Bird-Run 1 Veteran

My Photos: (60)

MyBad's watch..

I did the calipers for Ol' Red last winter. They were full of that black goo also. Soft and cleaned up with a shot of Brake Kleen. I didn't bother to measure anything but they went back together so easily I guessed that the bore was the right size. So far, no leaks and it stops just fine. I asked questions about putting the springs back in and 90% of the replies were to leave them out so I did. Well worth the effort IMHO. I'm sure the new braided SS flex lines, new master cylinder, and the system flush didn't hurt either.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:23 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

For those who are interested in doing the job themselves... those who are afraid of rebuilding brake calipers.... DON'T be afraid... it's easy.....

my opinion: the big part stores sell these for $60 and make a profit... $34 is the core value.... that person who is rebuilding these for them is probably not making more than $4 an hour ... you have to clean the parts, install new seals and dust shields, new bolts (these had new bolts)... not much room for profit if you want a quality job....

do it yourself, do it right....
Old 01-18-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBAD79 View Post
For those who are interested in doing the job themselves... those who are afraid of rebuilding brake calipers.... DON'T be afraid... it's easy.....

my opinion: the big part stores sell these for $60 and make a profit... $34 is the core value.... that person who is rebuilding these for them is probably not making more than $4 an hour ... you have to clean the parts, install new seals and dust shields, new bolts (these had new bolts)... not much room for profit if you want a quality job....

do it yourself, do it right....
OH sure, no question, I hate to say this, but I remember when disc brakes were a hot lick and did my first set of pads.....it went so quickly, the guy over my shoulder laughed when I questioned...that's ALL???

well compared to DRUMS and grinding/rebuilding a brake cylinder hanging them useless shoes, and then setting the adjuster....

Old 01-19-2009, 03:22 AM
United States | Charter Member
Founder Bird-Run
Cruise-In Bird-Run 1 Veteran
Cruise-In Bird-Run 2 Veteran

My Photos: (342)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBAD79 View Post
Specially O-ring pistons. MUCH easier.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Germany | Crew Chief

Here's the other rear caliper and a close up of the O-ring that seals between the two caliper halves:

this is a round O-ring and the other caliper had a flat rubber seal ring installed.

After blasting:

One of these is a Delco casting, the other one is some other manufacturer. There's no Delco lettering on that caliper and the casting is slightly different (pocket between the two cylinders is deeper on the Delco) On the last picture above you can see a symbol cast into the bottom of the pocket on the first caliper, the third half from the left does not have this symbol cast in....

I smoothened the outside with a sandpaper disc prior to blasting so now there are no numbers and no lettering...
Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 PM

Yes, Dear, those ARE car parts in the dishwasher......
Old 01-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

Thought about using the dishwasher but the blaster got most of the dirt off

I painted the rear calipers today, used the old dust caps to mask off the bores:

Once the paint is dry I'll pop the new pistons in there....
Old 01-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Netherlands | Der Maulwurf

My Photos: (1296)

See, after the yellow brake booster and the green master cylinder we now have red calipers. A true German

J/K Seriously, looking very good.Is that epoxy paint or rattle can stuff?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]