Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD General Discussion > Projects

Old 01-06-2013, 04:38 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (179)

I think Don's link said it all. I don't think mail order tunes are worth a nickle and if you need to change it, your screwed. I know this statement will draw some fire, but EFI-Live is a band aid approach for GM stock ECU's and by the time you buy all the capability you need to do a decent tune, you will pay damn near what the Holly costs. Even then it is a much harder "hit and miss" repetitive process. He already has the Holley kit that can be updated to a HP configuration. It will easily support LS like systems with sequential injection, cam and crank sense, wideband O2, knock sense, dual fan control, additional I/O etc. etc. Much better and more flexible, not to mention self tune. We can adapt the LS wire harness or modify the Holley harness that came with the system.

I'm not going with LS, mainly because I want something compatible with the L-88 hood setup. That points to the "old school" BB block configuration. We are having an aluminum short block made as we speak. Chip is thinking a set of high flow aluminum Eldebrock heads along with a custom modified intake that will fit with a four barrel Throttle body multiport injection approach. Looking at ~700 street able HP I will use the Holley Dominator EFI system. Overkill I know, but I already have it. HP would work fine for this no boost setup.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:05 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

Learn something new every day. Just thought the Holley was tbi, no provision for crank/cam/maf sensors. This is going to be an interesting project, keep the updates coming.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (14)

I think I found the harness I need. Will check with Chip this week. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...] Probably have Chip order the Alternator and Power Steering bracket.
Here is the link to selecting the correct harnesses. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Last edited by donnie_19; 01-08-2013 at 01:09 PM..
Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 PM
United States | Addict

Removing the dash today for the A/C upgrade. Hope to get the engine bay painted and front end back together.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:28 PM
United States | Addict

Stock A/C is out. Dash and all components removed in about 3 hours. This what I started with.[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Dash removed and all dash parts in about 1 1/2
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Then the A/C box had to go.[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Then the outside box is removed took about another hour[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...][Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Bullshark showed up after all the work was done to have cold beverage.

Last edited by donnie_19; 01-10-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 PM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

Sounds about right.....
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
United States | Addict

Since interior heat has been a major problem before, thinking about some kind of tunnel and floor board insulation. Any good options. I already have the insulation under the carpet.[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Also while I am at this point in the mod is there any function to the charcoal cannister in the drivers side fender well?

Last edited by donnie_19; 01-10-2013 at 01:19 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
United States | Addict

Since interior heat has been a major problem before, thinking about some kind of tunnel and floor board insulation. Any good options. I already have the insulation under the carpet.[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

fatmat quieted my 442 really well, but that has to go under the reflexit.
You still have a charcoal canister? If yoou want to keep emissions, you can hook to the purge solenoid.
Oh, if you need a vss, I've got a spare dakota digital that runs inline on your speedo cable ($25 with extension cable). You can check with Chip to see if the ecu needs it.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:49 PM
United States | Addict

I don't need emissions, so can I remove the cannister? Will check with Chip.