What is this piece under the floor?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
I'm in the process of moving the battery to the right rear compartment for a bit better weight distribution on the '84, but I ran into an item I'm puzzled about. What is this tubular thing hanging down, and what is it supposed to do? I notice there's one on the other compartment too. Thanks.

IM002162-1.jpg

Another drain for when the T-tops leak? The bucket already has a drain (hole) as I see and recall. Something used during production/assembly - before the body was mated to the frame? Did I win a prize?
:mobeer: Jim

Another drain for when the T-tops leak? The bucket already has a drain (hole) as I see and recall. Something used during production/assembly - before the body was mated to the frame? Did I win a prize?

As you can see, the lower part of the compartment has a removable drain plug. The upper step of the compartment has that tube under it, but the upper step floor has no hole or plug in it.

The only use I can see for this is for a beverage cooler. After drilling a small hole in the tube "cap" you put your drinks and ice in the compartment. The high position of this new drain allows the drinks to stay submerged in ice and cold water, but would prevent the water from getting to too high of a level that would be a splash nuisance under braking conditions.

Or???

As I recall there was a vent in the Battery side - think mine even had a squezie-tube on it for battery "outgassing" I always though.
Also, recall back in the early 80s some clever dude made a mini-cooler for beverages in the one just behind the passenger's seat.

So far 2 votes for manufacturing/assembley- 69427 - do we split the prize?:thumbs:

As I recall there was a vent in the Battery side - think mine even had a squezie-tube on it for battery "outgassing" I always though.
Also, recall back in the early 80s some clever dude made a mini-cooler for beverages in the one just behind the passenger's seat.

So far 2 votes for manufacturing/assembley- 69427 - do we split the prize?:thumbs:

This is a C4. The factory battery location is behind the left front wheel (inside the louvers).

I'm gonna need some factory documentation to persuade me this is a manufacturing aid.

I heard something similar on another site.

And I certainly don't have any inside information to disagree with your speculation here. :thumbs:

my question.... does that bit line up with either of these lifts?
1985-corvette-1.jpg

I'm in the process of moving the battery to the right rear compartment for a bit better weight distribution on the '84, but I ran into an item I'm puzzled about. What is this tubular thing hanging down, and what is it supposed to do? I notice there's one on the other compartment too. Thanks.

IM002162-1.jpg

When I cut up my 1990 I don't ever remember anything like that.