Whats with the differential?

rod70

I bought a '86 rear end that my 70 frame is being adapted to accept. The unit must have been sitting a long time because the differential was temporarily 'frozen'. Nothing moved. With the calipers and rusty discs removed the wheels eventually loosened up but they only turn exactly together forward or backward. As I have been fabricating the fittings for the batwing, rolling things in and out has been no problem but I have realized the wheels do not work independently. Is this a function of a limited slip differential or is something else tight? Oil has leaked out when differential has been temporarily upside down so I doubt the gears are rusty. Thoughts?

I'd pull the cover and take a look. Could be the posi clutches are just stuck. Maybe there's a mini spool in there.

simply put, a solid connection L&R, in which case you're a little screwed. Is it a D44 or D36?

Time to take the lid off

spool:

P0001975.jpg

Sounds normal to me. With the limited slip diff both axles will move together. They will only turn at different speeds when the clamping forces of the limited slip center section is exceeded