LS1 Rear Main Seal

gr8vet

Swapped tranny out about 2 years (2000 Camaro) ago and did not think about the seal. Now I have to think about the seal as I am leaking pretty good.

It is a PITA to pull the tranny but I can handle that part. Started looking into how to replace the seal and what is required, tools, etc. Anyone done this? Do I absolutely need the alignment tool to put seal back in? $225 +

Thanks in advance.

Karsten, I need you!!!!!

Well son of a &*%$#. I have looked all over the dang internet for an alignment tool. Best I could do was the $225 Kent Moore.

You rock TT, thanks for the great find! Ordering right now!

I had to go back into the real world, get a real job, and spent the last 3 years out of state. Back home now in Alabama and can get back into the forum more.

Thanks again!

Are you sure it's the seal? When you took the trans off, did you use new flywheel/crank bolts with sealant on them?

Hey Gary, I did use new bolts, did not use sealant. I am going to tear into this thing starting Friday. I plan to take a systematic approach with the intake first, check the oil sending unit. (2000 Camaro, can't get to anything on the 2/3 back top of the engine.) Replace the hoses and other parts behind the intake. If the sending unit looks good ill move under neath and check there.

I did order the tool TT spoke of, $45 delivered.

thanks
tt

The flywheel/crank bolt holes are drilled/tapped all the way through the flange to the oil pan cavity. GM bolts have a sealant to prevent leakage from the oil pan.
Also, the hole the pilot beating rides in is drilled through to the 7/8 crank journal. Using the grease/bread method to remove the pilot bearing dislodges a plug in there, resulting in an oil leak.
There are a dozen threads over at the LS forum aboult leaks due to these issues after trans removal.

BTW, when I swapped the tranny, A4, I did not get into the crank nor flywheel. (just figured out what your were talking about) The bolts I replaced where for the torque converter to flexplate only.

Intake is off. I did find the oil sending unit broken, I do not think I broke it as I was aware of how fragile it is. But I did not see alot of oil around the opening???
I did find two vacuum hoses in pieces, so the removal was worth the effort.

While I am in here, is there anything I can elminate with all this vaccum crap?

thanks in advance
tt