Help C5 Spark Plug Removal

gr8vet

Hey guys, been a while, been busy but did find some time to attempt to change my spark plugs. Dang do I feel like I have had my butt kicked! :clobbered:

OK, Whats the secret? I cannot get the dang rubber boots to come out, do you pull on the metal shield instead? Went to parts store, got a rubber boot puller, it broke, these things are in there tight. Almost pulled the coil packs to get a better grip, then got smart, and quit, asking questions. :(

Thanks in advance

C5 2002 - 51k miles.

You can pull on those metal sleeves. You have to pull quite firmly to get them off.

If you have to, remove the coil packs. it's not that bad, only a couple of screws and connectors. You may have to tweak or undo that air line also.

Getting the rubber boot off is simple compared to trying to get the plugs out. I bought a socket that was cut down on Ebay, best $20 ever spent..... without this special socket you'll never get all the plugs out. At least three of the eight you have to do from under the car.
Shops charge $400 to replace plugs and wires, often you only get 7 new plugs because the last one on the passenger side is a pain.
Edit:
just saw your sig - if you only got 51K miles on that car then leave the plugs alone. The plugs are good for 100K. I changed plugs at 50K and did not notice a difference, the old plugs were fine. I replaced the wires with MSD wires, measured resistance of old and new wire: 380 vs 30 Ohms... huge difference but not noticeable... if it's not broke don't fix it...

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

I have been reading alot of other threads and it appears that you speak the truth. Looks like I may wind up having to ruin the old plug wires to swap out. :crylol:

I have been running twin turbos and HAVE to swap the plugs out, going to a much higher boost, that is the only reason why. Worst part of the whole install.

Thanks for the heads up on this final part of the job. :drink:

Karsten, on your F body the job is much worse than on the C5 because of the mcpherson struts.

Twin Turbos???? Are you holding out on us?

On the F-body it's a lot worse because they had to stuff that LS1 in an existing chassis... they even dented the floorpan on the passenger side so that the catalytic converter has some room..... that's a nice little hump that every passenger complains about....

Autozone, spark plug boot puller.

Remove the two polution air hoses from header.

Grip the boots with above tool, grab other end of wire, wingle, pull, jerk, cuss, finally comes off. Wear Gloves!

1:30 to remove boots, three cuts, lots of pain. Two plug wires sacrificed to spark plug gods.

Plug removal, straight forward, gotta have a short extension, makes it so easy.

less than 30 mins to remove old plugs put new plugs in with wires.

tt