My 79 project

Here she is the day after i brought her home. The float stuck in the carb on her about halfway through the drive home and all i could do at the time was idle her the rest of way. And since the tail lights went out also i got pulled over quite a few times. Man was my wife pissed she was following me in our Mustang. Didn't get a ticket and im sure i gave quite a few officers a really good laugh.

Attachments

• DSC01097.JPG
    DSC01097.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC01099.JPG
    DSC01099.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC01102.JPG
    DSC01102.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC01103.JPG
    DSC01103.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01106.JPG
    DSC01106.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 22
OMG she has Cancer!!! All well she still all mine :bounce:

Attachments

• DSC01112.JPG
    DSC01112.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC01121.JPG
    DSC01121.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC01108.JPG
    DSC01108.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01117.JPG
    DSC01117.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC01105.JPG
    DSC01105.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 16
Ok so i saw the alcohol boxes out side and since i wanted a Black corvette. That gave me an idea...

Attachments

• DSC01132.JPG
    DSC01132.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC01131.JPG
    DSC01131.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC01129.JPG
    DSC01129.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01128.JPG
    DSC01128.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 25
attachment.php

I'm gonna be honest, I really don't like what I see.
The floorpan is backed and I can see a nice case of fiberglass over rust.
But the scariest is the rust pouring out of the A-pillar.
I urge you to assert the birdcage, I bet it's toasted too, and when the birdcage is gone, a Vette is just good for parts.
Don't ask me how I learned that (spoiler : the hard way).

Yea that kinda freaked me out when i saw it on the lot, then i dug deeper and discovered the birdcage was solid, the rust in the pillar seems to be coming from the windshield and working its way down. As a side note i took her to the mechanic that lives at the end of my road to replace the rear axle u-joints. He pulled her upon the lift and did a very thorough inspection of the frame, he then came back and offered me almost twice what i payed for the car, just for the frame. :amazed: So i did what anyone would do... told him no. I can get corvette bodies anywhere, the frames are a little harder to come by!!!

As far as the rust in the windshield, future plans for the car include removing the wipers and using the lower part of the windshield to close the gap between it and the hood. since i have to replace the windshield frame to do that, im not really concerned. Also, the car is getting a complete new dash board, roll cage, etc...

Since its almost winter, I think i'll be prototyping parts for the car in my basement and starting some of the heavy work on her in the spring.

I cant wait to start using this to make parts :bounce:

Last edited:

OK, I'm stumped. . .3D printer? What brand?
Yep a 3D printer, It is called a Rostock Max. Its a delta type with one of the largest build envelopes on the market. It can hold tolerances of about +/-.002" once it is calibrated and tuned correctly. Seemecnc.com sells the kits for about 1k. They have a fully built and tuned 3d printer with half the build envelope for about 1.5k. Since im constantly experimenting in order to stay at the top of my trade, i figured this would be one next innovations to help revolutionize manufacturing. Plus it looks cool. :)

Here is a link to my build log for the 3D printer. I haven't updated it in awhile since i have a new machine to play with at work and a corvette to play with at home.
http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2190

New shiny things

So i have a bad day at work Started off with leaving my polishing kit at home, which meant i had to go home at lunch to get it and I had to work late because the estimated run time that the machine calculated at 100% was only about 2 hours off the actual run time with the machine cranked to 150% (of course i quoted my to my boss the estimated run time for scheduling purposes). Then my sis just has to call into work demanding money after i pay her at lunch while retrieving my polishing kit, WTH? (of course i answered this call at work because i thought something was wrong with my kids because she watches them SMH)

So now totally pissed and out of time, so i end up leaving the parts to finish on Monday (just polishing and prepping for anodize) and drive home venting. Fortunately i come home to this nice setup in my basement.:nuts:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 32
Go figure I make shiny things all day at work and yet they always make me feel good when i come home and see them. You'd figure i'd be sick of them, but no.

I have the drivers side header and side pipe on right now, had to remove the steering box to get it on. I'll post pic's when i get the chance.

Side Note

So i have been talking with one of my good buddies (an old time drag-racer) and he has agreed to help me build a 383 with a 400 trany for the vette. :D I'll post pic's when i start getting the parts for it. I want the new motor and trany to be the last thing to go into the car to finish it off.

Idk, my first task is to find an unmolested 350 4-bolt main and have the machine work done. I can say i haven't been talked into or out of it yet. So i'll probably decide that after I find the block.

Idk, my first task is to find an unmolested 350 4-bolt main and have the machine work done. I can say i haven't been talked into or out of it yet. So i'll probably decide that after I find the block.

I got lucky and bought out a kid's project....350 roller truck block 4 bolt...been running fine, except for a bad cam.....but that's a long aggravating story....

:ill:

I got lucky and bought out a kid's project....350 roller truck block 4 bolt...been running fine, except for a bad cam.....but that's a long aggravating story....

bad cam = metal in the oil.... be careful

bad cam = metal in the oil.... be careful

My cam story dates back many many years....

it was a roller cam, from TPIS, some POS they called a ZZ9 cam, engine ran wonderfully for about a year, then developed this krazy messed up idle....it would be smooth as silk one day, all day, hot/cold whatever....never saw a damn thing in/about the oil, this shit with the intermittent idle went on for almost TEN YEARS, me fighting injectors, fuel pressures, plugs ad nausea, wires, caps, rotors, HEI chips, computers, computer programming chips, it's a old speed density system from late 80's/early 90's....
I noted the economy was going to HELL, and so a kind soul off this forum sent me a stock L98 cam, but I let it set for damn near a year, just lasy/busy, but I finally got the time/money to change it all out, turns out I about shit bricks over that damn CAM, the surface on about 6-8 lobes was all pitted and looked like the metal had shaved off, they have a finish on a cam I have heard of as Tufftriding??? some hardening gig or other, I hardly a metallurgist....at any rate the Cloys double roller was nearly perfect....so it stayed, oil pressure is fine....might see as lo as 20 lbs at lo idle 650 rpm at hot in FLORIDA street heat, and clocks 40+ easy.....

NOW HOW in the HELL can a bad roller cam cause INTERMITTENT shitty IDLE??? I tried several swaps of induction, and finally got good and pissed and sold the L98 large port setup for a LT1 induction, which my TIG welder buddy managed to get a HEI dizzy set up on the rear plate, and so there is no EGR, that was cut off a filled in with Plaster of Paris.....the induction is painted RED now, like the LT4's.....

Still a mystery to ME, is how in the HELL can a CAM cause an engine to idle mostly shitty, but every once in a while smooth out and act totally NORMAL....

I examined the roller lifters like a hawk after a mouse, they were totally fine, looking brand freeking NEW.....rollers flipped over smooth as hell, surfaces fine with NO evidence of wear.....

ZZ4/L98 cam in there now for a couple years and engine is happy as a clam.....

WHY ME< LORD?? WTF I DO ????

:ill::pprrtt:

Wow i have seen metal do alot of weird stuff over the years. I would have loved the chance to examine your cam to see what the caused the deterioration. It sounds like your can had a bad casting but from what i understand, most aftermarket cams are turned from bar stock or forged? I have also seen pitting and flaking in newer tool steels that are shipped from china, give me some good old fashioned A2, D2, or hell even 4140 and im a happy toolmaker! This new ISO stuff sucks!!!

As far as fuel injection or carbureted, i have thought alot about it on my road trip. And even though corvettes are known for fuel injection, the C3's are also known for their Rochester Q-jets. Since i have access to a guy that can do some pretty wicked stuff with carbs, i believe that i am going to go with a duel Rochester setup on the 383 build. The setup should be cheaper than fuel injection and will definitely be tricked out old school style.