Long Overdue Progress! My Retro Airbag

I Have A Clutch!

Today, with the assistance of my wife, I finally bled my clutch. I did this by the book. Bench bleeding, install and bleed. The clutch cylinder has been kicking my ass for months.

However, I did have a oh shit moment. After we were done, I sat in the car and put it in gear (wheels up in the air). Then I tried to turn the tire (that I could reach with the door open). I was expecting the tire to be locked in gear without the clutch. Wheel rotated freely. Pushed the clutch, same thing. I was pissed. I had visions of the car on the back of a tow truck going to the transmission shop.

Then it hit me. Dooh!:banghead:

so were the brakes on and it didnt rotate? or did it rotate because of the limited slip diff....

thats the best I got.

on my MGA the clutch disc hole for the spline shaft was not concentric and as the disc would turn it would wedge itself into the clutch plate.....that took me a while to figure out.

Yes. The tire rotated. I was expecting rotation of the wheel would rotate the driveshaft. I guess I'm a little too quick to panic.

So after months of screwing around with the hydraulic clutch conversion, I finally have a clutch, brakes and throttle! So now I'm free to get this thing tuned. Oh yeah, I think I'm done laying upside down with my head stuffed into the footwell :clap:

Throttle:

45f69201a68f85.jpg

Brakes:

45f69201a4d12f.jpg

Yesterday I set up the engine parameters for the fuel injection and started the car. It ran with a 1100 idle speed and the temperature climbed to 210 pretty quickly. I shut it down at that point so I was not able to make any adjustments. On the positive side, the radiator fans work, the charging system works and there were no fluid leaks. :drink:

It's been a little more than a year since I assembled the body to the chassis and I was hoping to have it driveable within a year but I think I'm close!

those are nice, I have been thinking about how I can make my C5 seat in my C5 passenger side go up several inches (convertible) so the Mrs can get in and out of it more easily (knee replacement) . right now I have to straddle the side walk and street so the gutter is several inches lower to make it easier to get in.

I took the electric seat mechanism off of mine because they were too high for the C3. I was planning on using the C3 tracks but even those were too high. I'm thinking that raising them up in a C5 should be doable.

I took the electric seat mechanism off of mine because they were too high for the C3. I was planning on using the C3 tracks but even those were too high. I'm thinking that raising them up in a C5 should be doable.

i wonder where i source the parts from, perhaps a handicap accessible products vendor?

ACC Carpet Installation FAIL

I installed carpet in the rear compartment area of my 68 convertible. I spent a week cutting and fitting the area over the rear wheel wells. The ACC carpet I bought is supposed to be "molded" to the shape of the wheel well and area clears the frame. Pretty complex surface development. The pieces they supplied are not even close to fitting the contours. And they have no "give" to allow them to form to the contours.

This turned out so poorly that I am embarrassed to show anybody. If I would have hired someone to do this, and this was the result, I would have asked them if they were blind.

Also, the flat piece that goes in between the wheel wells is 4" too short!

I can't believe ACC gets away with selling this crap.

Yours looks better than mine. Here's a picture of the better side. The other side looks like one of those wrinkled dogs. It's really bad in the back. I was able to get the carpet behind the compartment doors to lay down by removing the jute backing and gluing the shit out of it. I cut the ears off because they were 4 inches short (you can see the gap in the back).

The only fix I can think of is to hide it behind a speaker box! Here is my foam core mock up to make sure it clears the stowed convertible top.

45ff39d7665f5f.jpg

wrinkled-shar-pei.jpg

I wonder if you could cut foam to build out the baggy areas. i bet if you sparyed that exposed area black ( or tan) you will never see it or even notice it

the good side looks better then mine did

I glued the carpet on so I can't get behind it to add fill. By the time I get the speakers and set belt shoulder retractor mounted most of the offending installation should be covered up.

Next is figuring out how the install 3 point seat belts in a convertible.

I've seen some articles on the replacement carpets where there was much hot sunshine softening of the carpet involved with lots of gluing and rolling much like laying down Dynamat. Not looking forward to that down the road.