CAD designed piece to realworld piece

Belgian1979vette

If I design something in a CAD program, can a machineshop somehow produce a piece out of it, just by using computers or is there still a lot of human involvement ? I've heard about CAM-software, but I have no knowledge of this kind of thing.

Thanks

A part designed in 3D CAD can be machined somewhat automatically. Say in the case of a wheel, you could design the part then transfer it into a CAM program. Then you would toolpath rough, semi and finished cuts on a billet. The operator would load the billet and do tool changes (if the machine did not have an automatic changer). The operator would also flip the part to do the other side.

Here is a a couple of pictures of an intake plenum going from CAD to billet to machined on one side:

44bfe60deefa3f.jpg

44bfd37136e1ac.jpg

44bfd37148685d.jpg

Last edited:
I dunno about what intake, but my out take is that it COOL.....damn computers make everything so simple these daze....

:shocking::beer:

another job/career I never had...machinist...:sick:

So if i'm correct, i can design a piece in a cad program and a machine shop with cnc and cam program can make the part without to much human intervention.

Yes Thats the general idea

Yes. You'd want to know what formats they'd like the CAD in and levels of detail. Some CAD programs "port" better to some CAM programs better than others.

There is a very active forum for CNC folks. I've been there for several years - but haven't milled/machined any bits in a few. Lately, this work-thing has been busting my ass- when I'm not hanging out here.

Check out: www.cnczone.com

You'll find people from all over the world - and some in you area probably too. With luck, you might find someone interested in working with you for the part. (You may need to sign up to the forum -- I've not been too active in the last 6 months - since undertaking this 'vette project.):D

There are also several online shops - but you'd need a reference - as to how good they're work/pricing is.
I know there is at least one site that even has its own CAD program for you to use - but it escapes me now. Seems like they banner advert on the CNCZone.

If its not too critical it be machined - out of stock - another alternative is have it milled/machined in foam and use the lost foam method to cast it. You could get the part proofed in machineable wax for another approach, or timber to see and check fitments. Or, if composites are your bag - similar approaches could be considered.

BTW - I'm HighSeas over there.

Cheers - Jim

Thanks Jim,

The foam thing you mentioned is interesting enough to check the part out in real world fitting and such. Have to chech if machine shops are into this. It won't be easy though, since the number of shops is low around here and most have a lot of work.

Thanks Jim,

The foam thing you mentioned is interesting enough to check the part out in real world fitting and such. Have to chech if machine shops are into this. It won't be easy though, since the number of shops is low around here and most have a lot of work.

If you want to check it out, you need go to CHECK O SLO vakia.....

sorry, no offense intended, but could NOT pass up the play on words....

:hissyfit::3rd:

So if i'm correct, i can design a piece in a cad program and a machine shop with cnc and cam program can make the part without to much human intervention.

If you have a 3D file of a part, you can get an online quote from a place like www.firstcut.com. You can select materials and download your file and they give you a quote online. They are in the US but may have affiliates in Europe.

With that said, you would be surprised what an old school machine shop can do. Unless you need complex surfacing like the part above, you really don't need CNC.

Correct, but mostly it's more expensive because of the labor factor involved.

That's not necessarily true. Traditional machine time is charged as overhead because you don't have expensive equipment, expensive software, maintenance costs, etc. And, these days, labor rates have been beat down pretty bad. In contrast, CNC machine time (because of the equipment/software costs involved) is more much more expensive.

We do prototype CNC work every day. The decision to machine something with traditional machine work or CNC comes down to a question. "Does the part to be machined have complex surfaces"? That's a deal breaker for traditional machine work.

Yes, That's what I do all day except I do the cad, then the tool paths and then the machine setup. A one man wrecking crew LOL. By the way I use Solid works for designing and Delcam Featurecam for machining.

Danny :smash:

I dunno about what intake, but my out take is that it COOL.....damn computers make everything so simple these daze....

:shocking::beer:

another job/career I never had...machinist...:sick:

Try programming a complex part and even with the computer to make it easier it still can be a chore. Gets even tougher when the designer puts in square corners for you to machine which most of them think we can. So my point is it's not as easy as people think just because a computer is involved. I had a guy say to me "why so much money,?" "I did the design" "I did all the hard work" all you had to do is put it in your computer and let your software spit the codes out and put it in the machine and push start." Don't work that why. Sorry for ranting. I hear this much to often these days how easy it is to be a machinist. So what's up Gene? Any new chemical experiments going on. LOL

Danny