Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Classic Corvettes

Old 07-28-2019, 09:00 AM
United States | n00b

My Photos: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBShark View Post
Looks like a pretty well packaged unit. Are you doing the AWD?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
probably not
it adds complexity to the build, adds cost, i have more than enough power from just that rear motor, and a vette not being RWD feels weird, even weirder than ditching the V8

Last edited by jokeitch; 07-28-2019 at 09:40 AM..
Old 08-02-2019, 04:43 AM
United States | Addict

you asked my opinion....

I think you would be far better adapting the entire sub-section from the Tesla into the Corvette. The first problem with 'just' replacing the center section is the driveshaft on a C3 is the upper control arm - because that unit is so much wider, shortening the driveshafts would give you a lot of camber gain through the suspension and make it feel like you're driving on ice... shifting ice.

nice part about it being a subsection is the handling has been worked out and design compromises (short upper arms) I'm sure have been addressed - though now you make me want to run a Tesla down a dirt road and see what happens (not much travel)....

and still.... cool concept, the devil will be in the details - and the other detail, the short travel suspension could make you need to change or limit the front suspension .... I'd be interested to see its design as well...
Old 08-02-2019, 08:34 AM
United States | n00b

by driveshaft do you mean the half shafts? there is no driveshaft with this tesla motor setup, the entire motor and inverter and gearbox is that big silver thing, half shafts come out the side to the wheels

although i think you're agreeing with the notion of taking the entire subframe and bolting it to the c3 ladder frame? I'm definitely going to be doing that now instead of my previous plan
Old 08-05-2019, 05:35 PM
United States | Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeitch View Post
by driveshaft do you mean the half shafts? there is no driveshaft with this tesla motor setup, the entire motor and inverter and gearbox is that big silver thing, half shafts come out the side to the wheels

although i think you're agreeing with the notion of taking the entire subframe and bolting it to the c3 ladder frame? I'm definitely going to be doing that now instead of my previous plan
Yes he did but, he was referring to them on the c3 suspension and the complications that would ensue if you tried to graft the C3 and Tesla suspension together. Where as the new plan will simplify it.

You only get to choose 2.