Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Classic Corvettes

Old 09-18-2019, 07:24 PM
United States | n00b

My Photos: (0)
Default General question: how hard is grafting/bolting newer subframes into C3s?

I'm referring to taking, say, the entire rear subframe and suspension out of a newer car and fabbing up mount points in the c3 frame.
Trynna get some anecdotes and general opinions.
These aren't explicit questions to answer, just things to get your noggin noodling

Do you find it's usually a very painful and unrewarding process? Or is it relatively easy, just time consuming?

Does the final product actually perform as well as you hoped? Or do things not really work right because of the differences introduced?

Is there often a long tail of little issues and annoyances that come with this kind of conversion, or is it a big project with not much else you need to bother with afterwards?

Do you find certain mistakes folks make when doing this kind of thing that was easily avoidable if only they had known some crucial bit of info?

Do you carefully measure things beforehand and do some mock ups to ensure fitment? or do you just sort of slap the two pieces together and throw together a mounting solution?

Would you trust handing something like this off to a shop which specializes in car fabrication, since they have the expertise and tools to do it, or would you MUCH rather do it yourself?
Old 09-20-2019, 08:26 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (87)

This depends entirely on how confident you are in your ability to fabricate, design and overcome obstacles.

I would build some kind of jig that bolts to your wheel hubs/rotors at ride height to maintain wheel position. Set your new subframe in that jig, and figure out whats in your way and how you are going to attach it to the existing frame rails.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:20 PM
United States | Garage Monkey

My Photos: (293)

Absolutely need the frame jig. Also an easy way to lower/raise the body onto the the completed chassis to figure out where to clearance the body.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:48 AM
United States | n00b

My Photos: (0)

honestly curious how much something like this would cost if given to a shop experienced in classic car fabrication, in California.

is this like a sub $5000 operation? or more like $10k+ just to fab all this up
Old 10-03-2019, 09:50 AM
United States | Garage Monkey

My Photos: (293)

That's easily 100 hours of work so, if the shop rate is $100/hr., you are looking at $10K+. Add to that building a frame jig, materials, etc.