Obx Headers/sidepipes

My Hooker race headers were like this but Jere Stahl (the legend in his own mind) wouldn`t run #1 this way so the car went to Performance Stainless in Appleton, WI...this was sent to me while they were under construction in 2005 and no they aren`t Stainless steel they are carbon steel, SS was $5K

header4.jpg
8.jpg
6.jpg

Last edited:
If I race again (and thats a big if) the alloy C-5 master is on my to-do list, along with a Borgeson box and a couple of other goodies.

I like the bracket on the top of the steering gear. Is that a grease fitting in the cover?

6.jpg

It`s not rocket science.....now where is that big mouth that told us all how great these OBX headers were?

I guess I am the one who said how great these headers are. Now, the OBX headers I bought for my C6 fit - not one complaint.... I do agree that it is not rocket science, all they do is taking a set of Hookers and make their own JIG.... wtf ??.... a caveman could do it and yet they seem to be about an inch off ???

I agree that the steering box should be a known issue, however, even my Hookers did not fit and required some massaging with a hammer on tube #1, only a 1/4" though....

Obviously impossible to tell how they fit on another car, much less a full blooded racer, but Schoenfeld #151 headers look much like the above, on the driver's side anyway....

and they fit my rack conversion with two universals, not three.....

and really appear they should clear anything in the way of stock-ish steering and the Borgeson box also.....

they call them 'chassis headers'.....

my version is just mild steel....but one comment...for some odd reason the headers have NEVER leaked on my L98 heads...never had to snug a bolt, and there was NO particular prep for that either....been some 6 years now....

just handling them, they seemed to be weigh nothing, filled with helium maybe floated away.....;):thumbs:

It`s not rocket science.....now where is that big mouth that told us all how great these OBX headers were?

I guess I am the one who said how great these headers are. Now, the OBX headers I bought for my C6 fit - not one complaint.... I do agree that it is not rocket science, all they do is taking a set of Hookers and make their own JIG.... wtf ??.... a caveman could do it and yet they seem to be about an inch off ???

I agree that the steering box should be a known issue, however, even my Hookers did not fit and required some massaging with a hammer on tube #1, only a 1/4" though....

NOPE, not you.

If I race again (and thats a big if) the alloy C-5 master is on my to-do list, along with a Borgeson box and a couple of other goodies.

Maybe I am missing something here, but the C5 master cylinders piston isn't drilled deep for the manual breaks pushrod. I was told that would be a problem. Plus the reservoir on the C5 master is to high for the hood to close on a manual brake car.

I've been thinking about that Borgeson box for quite a while now. I'm not a racer, so for the street. I've read a lot of feedback from guys who say that it gets a little twitchy at higher speeds...say 80mph. Most of the posts where over at CF.

I wonder if the twitchy problem comes as a result of not adjusting for other possible install issues...geometry, idler arm off, not enough castor, etc. But there doesn't appear to be a lot of people seriously looking into these reported problems.

So, get serious again and lets see how the properly set-up box works on a serious race car. :1st:

It will take $40-$50K for me to get serious but I`ll PM you my address so you can mail me a check...sorry no pay-pal :)

Headers finally in

Sorry for the delay in the final part of the OBX header install. I had to take the drivers side header to a shop to have two pipes moved. Number one cyl pipe did not clear the pitman arm or the steering gear box. The number 7 pipe did not make room for the Z bar for the clutch. Had to pick up the header a couple of times to test fit before the final weld. The guys at Stage 6 here in Jacsonville FL did a great job of fabricating and welding the stainless steel and it was very reasonable. I have some photo's to load to show you. Overall I guess I would have to say I am happy with the final result. I knew I would likely experience some issues with these headers but was willing to take the chance. Had it not been for the drivers side being off this would have been a one day install easy. I did run the engine without the side pipes attached and I must say it sounds great!. Side pipes are on now with the HKR free flow inserts. I am happy with the new sound and the stainless steel really shines. Car looks totally different and more aggressive. I'll try and get the photo's posted soon. If I were to recommend these headers for the C3 then I would say beware of problems with the driver side. :beer:

so overall these are like $500 less than the Hookers (incl the re-welding) ?? It seems to be hit or miss with OBX, my C6 exhaust fits just fine, only the clamps they provided are junk....
I don't think very highly of buying "made in china" but a few months ago I bought a Lingenfelter fiberglass bumper that was "made in the USA" and this is by far the worst quality fiberglass that I've seen so far - it looks like you can find low quality junk anywhere :ill:

and the OBX system seems to be identical to the dynatech system with a 3xx stainless X pipe section even where the dynatech is 409

Yes, it's the Dynatech system that i.e. Ecklers sells for $1800 plus tax or shipping... that system however has high flow catalytic converters, my OBX system comes with resonators, I paid $720 shipped, cats are $150 extra....

6t8vert, did you ever contact the seller about the poor fitment ?? It is hard to believe that you're the first and only one with this issue... that's if their jig is off.... of course there is a chance (although slim) that somebody kicked the jig when your driver side header got welded....

If this poor fitment was "normal" for OBX sidepipes you would find that feedback all over the net....

Yes, it's the Dynatech system that i.e. Ecklers sells for $1800 plus tax or shipping... that system however has high flow catalytic converters, my OBX system comes with resonators, I paid $720 shipped, cats are $150 extra....

6t8vert, did you ever contact the seller about the poor fitment ?? It is hard to believe that you're the first and only one with this issue... that's if their jig is off.... of course there is a chance (although slim) that somebody kicked the jig when your driver side header got welded....

If this poor fitment was "normal" for OBX sidepipes you would find that feedback all over the net....

Well never did tell the vendor that the drivers side does not fit right. Yes I did save some money going this route but at the point of taking the drivers side of the car several times to get the two mentioned pipes moved because of clearane problems. After all his now I see a different vender on another forum selling the entire setup in stainless steel complete with inserts for the tubes for $900. Looks good and appears several folks have bought this other setup with out issues. I still owe some pictures of the final stuff. Overall I am happy with the sidepipes. They look good on the car and sound great!