How do these fiberglass repairs look? Need you opinion

JeffP1167

I am sick and tired of fiberglassing for one so give me you opinions. With a little more sanding and a glazing of filler are these dam holes fixed for good?

deckholesfilled2.jpg

deckholesfilled1.jpg

0409091133a.jpg

0412091532.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good in the photo, but how come there's a large patch where the 4 holes are? Did you dig some base material out before you filled it?

The patch is because after sanding the area there were stress cracks. So I basically ground about 1/2 way into the repaired area and layed about 5 coats of glass.

Looks good in the photo, but how come there's a large patch where the 4 holes are? Did you dig some base material out before you filled it?

The patch is because after sanding the area there were stress cracks. So I basically ground about 1/2 way into the repaired area and layed about 5 coats of glass.
Ok. Have you primed over the repairs yet? That's when you'll see if you've missed anything.

Ok. Have you primed over the repairs yet? That's when you'll see if you've missed anything.

No haven't primed yet that will be a few days down the road. I am busy repairing the floor right now.

What type of fiberglass did you use for the repair. I am asking about the resin not the glass fiber itself.

The reason I ask, is that if you used off the shelf fiberglass repair from Napa or advance auto or anything, you are going to have issues. It may look fine now, but it will not for very long. Those fiberglass resins are based from a polyester, you car is smc and the two don't mix. You would have been better off to get a 3M ahesive and fill the holes in. You could easily back the holes with a piece of cardboard you cut a piece out of your old doors that you are replacing. You do need to grind the outside of the hole a little, you want to give the fill material as much to bite onto as possible. Myself you grind the whole area down a little and fill the area and you can block that out afterwards, but you will end up with something that will not show through. Make sure you put a good epoxy coat down also before you paint.