Let the painting games begin!!

It's been a while, but it's painted!!!

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted on this. After the heavy work of the front end and door gaps was finished, I kept working when time would allow, but it was really just the tedium of striping paint and filling small imperfections. My work schedule really didn't leave me as much time as I'd had previously so progress was a bit slow. Add to that, once I got everything I could do finished, I had to wait for the friend I had shoot the car get time in his schedule. Well, to me, it was worth the wait.

I did one more piece of "significant" body work. As the car was at my friends house where we were priming and blocking it, we started looking at the hood. The stud in the carb had always been just rubbing the hood a bit, and I really didn't want to have issues after it was painted. So, we started thinking of ways we could modify it. Here's what we did. We lifted the top of the L88 scoop in the front 2.5 inches. We made the top of the hood parallel to the belt line of the car, and we molded in the same contours of the original rise to the added bump.

Here's how it started:

DSC03957.jpg

Then we lifted it the 2.5 inches (sorry for the bad pic)

Hoodbuild1.jpg

Then started filling it in with glass and the other materials I used on the rest of the car:

Hoodbuild2.jpg

Hoodfiller3.jpg

Hoodfiller1.jpg

After some sanding and blocking...

Hoodprimer1.jpg

hoodprimer3.jpg

Then the color....

But first, here's the car being blocked. Primed, blocked, primed, blocked, primed...

Guidecoat1.jpg

guidecoat3.jpg

And the doors and bumpers...

guidecoat2.jpg

Then the base coat, mid coat and a few clear coats, and back from the booth...

backfrompaint1.jpg

backfrompaint2.jpg

Color sanding...

wetsanded1.jpg

FbumberWS.jpg

Remember the hood?

HoodwsL.jpg

Then back to my house to be put back together...

polished1.jpg

Those areas that were fixed earlier in this thread? Well, here's the front left fender:

FrontassemblyRtop.jpg

DSC04373.jpg

DSC04372.jpg

DSC04384.jpg

Drivers side door gap:

DSC04371.jpg

DSC04379.jpg

Passenger side:

DSC04377.jpg

DSC04378.jpg

Hood gaps:

DSC04382.jpg

DSC04380.jpg

And the hood:

DSC04374.jpg

DSC04375.jpg

DSC04387.jpg

I'd really like to post some pics of the completed car in full sun, this color really looks great in the sunlight. I've been having some challenges getting that done though. After getting it back together, the new poly trailing arm bushings I'd put in two years ago, disintegrated, so I had to wait until I replaced those again..another week. Then when I got the car cleaned up, got it aligned, the day before Thanksgiving, was headed home to take some good pics to post here, I broke the number two exhaust rocker arm. Figuring it was an opportunity to improve I started looking for roller rockers (for those who don't know or don't recall, this is a big blocked 81). That's another story. Suffice it to say, I finally got what I was looking for, and installed them last night. Took the car for the first real drive today, about 100 miles, but it's been cloudy and about 20 minutes after getting home it started raining so no good pics again today. Here's a pic a friend took today with his phone. I'll get good full car pics posted as soon as I can get them.

1459216_10202909875493558_882777884_n.jpg

Holly molly, that's a hell of a post.
The car looks killer!

Did you keep the fender watercooling system or turned them into an aero feature?:rofl:

Welcome back :D

That is one awesome looking paintjob !!!!!

What's the color again??

Looks a lot better than before :D

214c8d7b893400d.jpg

Last edited:
HEY HEY HEY, Glad to see a plot finally come together, Looks good man, :bounce::bump:

Thanks guys! The vents on the fenders are still just for look'n at...though I did drill drain holes in them so they don't hold the water anymore Denpo! I did try opening them up and didn't like the way they looked, so I put em back to the way they were.

Karsten, thank you sir! Yeah, an improvement I think! The color code for the paint is MR368.15 so you can get it from any auto paint store. It a base coat, top coat and a clear coat, I'm still waiting for a sunny day for some pics! The trim is powder coated semi flat black.

Gene, now all I have to do is the interior. Thankfully it's not in bad shape at all, but I have another friend who does upholstery, so at the least it'll get a leather upgrade! Probably black carpet with the red upholstery is what I'm thinking...

Thanks guys! The vents on the fenders are still just for look'n at...though I did drill drain holes in them so they don't hold the water anymore Denpo! I did try opening them up and didn't like the way they looked, so I put em back to the way they were.

Karsten, thank you sir! Yeah, an improvement I think! The color code for the paint is MR368.15 so you can get it from any auto paint store. It a base coat, top coat and a clear coat, I'm still waiting for a sunny day for some pics! The trim is powder coated semi flat black.

Gene, now all I have to do is the interior. Thankfully it's not in bad shape at all, but I have another friend who does upholstery, so at the least it'll get a leather upgrade! Probably black carpet with the red upholstery is what I'm thinking...

Nope, black/black......red and burgundy don't mix.....and even 2 shades of burgundy/red don't mix.....gotta SEE it in person first....just drape a patch over to see WTF.....please don't fuck up a car like I did some decades ago.....

:surrender:

I think the red on red looks pretty sharp .... Tan or beige would look great too

All I remember is the totally screwed up GARISH color combo I did decades ago,

which is why my '72 is tan/black in the interior....green black exterior....

the visors were baked out bad after 40 years, they were 'saddle leather'....but turned black as the console and various other accent pieces.....call it an economical compromise.....

kinda goes with my Colombian Cowboy hat I have, REAL leather....

TAN/BLACK accent....

;):bounce:

Nope, black/black......red and burgundy don't mix.....and even 2 shades of burgundy/red don't mix.....gotta SEE it in person first....just drape a patch over to see WTF.....please don't fuck up a car like I did some decades ago.....

:surrender:

Huh? The interior is medium red, and the dash, cluster and console are black now. The car isn't really burgundy, and I actually like the black trim. Believe me, pimp'n ain't my style, whatever I go with will fit the car!! :)

There's at least one of your photos shoeing the red (claret???) seats, they look good with the reddish burgundy maroon candy apple red of the exterior .... If you want to switch colors I'd go with saddle/tan/beige, black would look cheap (have black interior in my C6) .... Doesn't look like there's much wrong with what you've got right now .... Spend the money on 17" wherls instead and get rid of those truck tires :D

I'm not switching colors at all. The upholstery will be very similar if not the same as the color that's in it now. I was only thinking of maybe black carpet, but will probably stay with the red. Wait till you see the color in the sun. That shady pic makes it look way more burgundy that it is... :)

It's awesome how that color changes, in some pictures it looks like burgundy or candy apple red, then in the shade darker, almost magenta....

I have red carpet and it's a bit "much" .... I think black would calm it down a bit....

RED interiors remind me of a whorehouse.....

Burgundy is much more better....:D

I'm sure it's been so long since you've been in a whorehouse....and what you remeber is the interior?!?! :harhar:

Promised some pics of it in the sun, here you go.

frontview.jpg

Rightfrontquarter.jpg

Leftrearqtr.jpg

Leftside.jpg