NEW computer....

Gene - sorry I hijacked your thread. I owe you a beer.

no sweat, I getting edjumakated too, IF I can try another computer for cheep enough...meaning factory stock with a laptop input program that don't cost 500 bux, that's fine....

make it 6 and call it a day....

snore.....:quote:
Better not call it a day then. This system was $1600.00. I have an external fuel pump, I think it is a Carter, but I can definitely hear it. Not bad, but it's there. I'm not sure what a stage 2 is. If you mean with a wideband 02, then yes. I still haven't had a chance to really drive the car much with this system. It was monsoon here last week. It does require a laptop for tuning and it's over my head, but I don't think it would be that difficult to learn.

Long as the computer connector is a USB port, you should be fine....

I had a total COW with that serial D antiquated POS on the MSquirt....

:shocking:

no sweat, I getting edjumakated too, IF I can try another computer for cheep enough...meaning factory stock with a laptop input program that don't cost 500 bux, that's fine....

Better not call it a day then. This system was $1600.00. I have an external fuel pump, I think it is a Carter, but I can definitely hear it. Not bad, but it's there. I'm not sure what a stage 2 is. If you mean with a wideband 02, then yes. I still haven't had a chance to really drive the car much with this system. It was monsoon here last week. It does require a laptop for tuning and it's over my head, but I don't think it would be that difficult to learn.

It's a serial port, but as long as you understand the programming it shouldn't be a big deal. The unit comes with the software CD. There's even a connector if you just want to do 02 calibrations.

It's a serial port, but as long as you understand the programming it shouldn't be a big deal. The unit comes with the software CD. There's even a connector if you just want to do 02 calibrations.

OK, that was my issue, the serial D connector/type/style whatever...protocol issues?? but I had a hell of the time getting any adaptor from USB to serial D to work, they said one type would work, but for some reason it did not...so my wife's laptop was useless....so I got a free old laptop from a buddy, but it could not keep up with the programs....save to floppy, plug to my desktop and then it would not play, or send in email for some damn reason.....

DIY AUTOTUNE.com sent me a file from MSFT....that was a 'missing file' some such protocol crap, how in the FUCK can a file necessary to communicate with something be MISSING from a standard windows install???

anyway, I went the whole gammut for about 2 months there few years ago...

no wonder I"m bald...

the crapola that Mega Squirt says about able to comm with a PC is just that....it's a MOTOROLA processor, and so is not compatible with a PC so you have to run emulator program, something like that.....I remember having one of the computer geeks explain that on a chalk board in a engineering meeting some 25+ years ago.....

at that point I toss my hands, and went back to stock....

I suspect GM computers today even, use a MOT based processor...

but if that rat has a Serial D which is antiquated, how in hell to get a modern laptop to .commmm with it.....

:shocking::ill:

I borrowed a Dell laptop that we use at my work for troubleshooting Caterpillar engines in our over the road trucks and industrial engines. I installed the CD and was immediately able to open the program and once I plugged in the cable from the car into the serial port I could see exactly what my engine was doing. The only problem is I don't know how to set up the tables for volumetric efficiency and air fuel ratios and such. I was able to set the idle and WOT values for the TPS and set the target idle. I'm just not edumacated enough to be able to get the timing and fuel maps correct. I took it in to a shop with a dyno and he set all that.

I found out that Stage 2 is also called Gen VII which has more control options such as more stages of nitrous control, secondary injector control, plus some other stuff most of us won't need. So the base Thruster system is a more user friendly version that can be software upgraded to the more advanced version later if need be.

What distributor did you end up with after you found the dual sync wouldn't fit with the intake? Why did your tuner think dual sync and/or sequential injection was a waste for your application? Just curious as I found they offer a dual sync small cap distributor that should fit with the First intake and I'm wondering if it would be worth it.

My laptop does not have a serial port so that is another issue I'll have to resolve. Maybe they've already tackled this problem and offer a solution.

:beer:

DC

I found out that Stage 2 is also called Gen VII which has more control options such as more stages of nitrous control, secondary injector control, plus some other stuff most of us won't need. So the base Thruster system is a more user friendly version that can be software upgraded to the more advanced version later if need be.

What distributor did you end up with after you found the dual sync wouldn't fit with the intake? Why did your tuner think dual sync and/or sequential injection was a waste for your application? Just curious as I found they offer a dual sync small cap distributor that should fit with the First intake and I'm wondering if it would be worth it.

My laptop does not have a serial port so that is another issue I'll have to resolve. Maybe they've already tackled this problem and offer a solution.

DC

I was told by MS and DIY autotune that the USB/serial D adaptors for the most part don't work, just one that did, so I got that one pictured....it didn't....not far as I could tell anyway....

DC
The small cap will fit diameter wise, but the runner for cyl 8 is too tall and the dist. will not drop fully into the intake. I am running a stock type for an L-98 motor. My tuner said that the cost for extra tuning for the sequential operation would outweigh the gains.I just drive my car on the street, no racing or anything like that.