Fuel line for EFI, type?

ToniH

I am going to swap from carb to EFI on my '70 454. The fuel pump and fuel filter will be installed in the back near the fuel tank (have electric pump now too with the carb but that will be replaced). The EFI-system I will install does not need a return line.

I was wondering if is it ok to run good quality braided fuel line all the way from the back to front or should I use a hard line along the frame rail? I would prefer using braided hoses as its much easier for me to do but obviously don't seek problems.

What is a service life of such braided line (years or miles)? Recommended brands (Aeroquip, Earl's, Russell)? I have no problem of renewing the hose every few years if necessary. The car will see about 2000-5000 miles per year.

Thanks.

Sure you can use braided line, it'll be good for years (don't know exactly how long). A hard line is harder to do but permanent, only problem is you'll need to either have a 37 deg (double) flare tool or use adapters if you want to use AN hardware. Myself, I always bend and flare stainless line for use w/ AN fittings but it's a bitch to get installed with the body on the frame, however it can be done. I did so on V-Twins car.

Thanks for the comments.

Anybody have any idea of durability of the braided lines?
Good or bad experiences with them?

Thanks for the comments.

Anybody have any idea of durability of the braided lines?
Good or bad experiences with them?

My only comment is the factory uses solid steel lines along the frame, then switches to the braided flex at the engine.....

I would tend to copy that style, they been doing that since carb days, and a car gotta mighty old before those lines even get a coat of rust, let alone fail...mine are still OEM, and I have DPFI pump in rear setup using them....

:beer:

I am running braided line from the pump to a filter under the hood and then from there to the fuel rail. I went to a local hydraulic shop and had them make the hoses. They have a teflon liner and crimped AN fittings.Kind of pricey, but should last forever.

I'm running a short rubber hose from the tank to the pump in the rear. 3/8" aluminum tubing with 37 degree single flare fittings from the pump to the engine compartment. At the engine, I'm running a short piece of S/S braided line to the fuel rail.

There is no question about it: hard lines are more durable. But I am looking for experiences about the braided lines. I have no place or tools to make decent hards lines so I hope the braided lines would do (safely). I can get Aeroquip and Earl's hoses made to order locally so it would be a easy solution for me.

So, if there is any opinions or experiences why I shouldn't use them please tell me.

All braided lines are not the same, the Teflon lined stuff that AJ77 used is pretty much bulletproof.

Yes, I know. You can assume I plan to use best of line by a name brand. I will investigate the teflon hoses too.

In my business as a part of machinery I sell 30ft 500bar hydraulic hoses to my customers. They are good for approx 3 years of hard field use with varying 0-520bar oil pressure. I would be happy if I can find a fuel hose that will last 5 years for sure with about 3.5bar fuel pressure. Doesn't seem too difficult to achieve IMO. But, I have no personal experience with modern braided fuel lines so don't know how they will hold up.

I have read elsewhere recently that a fellow had experienced leaks right out of the box with new braided rubber line. He couldn't pin-point the leak visually, he had to do it by smell (fuel smell in his garage). Product was a non Aeroquip brand.

Steel fuel line has to meet certain specs regarding performance in the event of a crash (high resistance to cracking), thats one reason why its used by OEMs.

I've read that too, the brand was Russell. Infact seen several (3) accounts of fuel smell with Russell hoses. They did not leak fluid but let some gas smell through.

The hard lines are used by the car manufacturers because they are not considered service parts and quite often last the life of a average car unless you live in area where roads are salted. Secondly they cost almost nothing to make. Resistance to cracking? I would guess that steel braided hose is always more resistant to cracking than a thin walled steel pipe.

Asked from Earl's about durability of their Auto-flex and Perform-o-flex -hoses. They answered like this: they last a long time in our experience, 10+ years. If you were being cautious you would exhange them maybe after 7 years.

Last edited:
In the meantime, my '72 vert has has just ONE steel line replaced in it's life...the f/rear brake line, ALL others are OEM.....

that's Evap,fuel, return, and all lateral brake lines....

:devil:

Thats great.

A direct question: has anybody have a big brand braided fuel line fail? How old and what brand, why did it fail? Thanks.

Last edited:
I had a braided oil line fail, but it was from chaffing. So support it well.
Have you considered aluminum line. It's easier to work with than steel or stainless. And you can do simple 37 degree flares at the ends. I'm in the process of doing that now.

I am one of the ones that has an issue with Russell lines and the gas smell. I am replacing the lines with Aeroquip lines. I ran a braided line from the back to the fuel rail. I am going to replace that with a hard line for most of the run and use a 2 foot section up to the fuel rails. Nothing wrong with the braided run I just feel better with more hard line.

I had a braided oil line fail, but it was from chaffing. So support it well.
Have you considered aluminum line. It's easier to work with than steel or stainless. And you can do simple 37 degree flares at the ends. I'm in the process of doing that now.

Gary, I had a M/E I used to work with tell my to NOT use copper or aluminum in fuel related shit, we were talking on a boat, and cars get even worse vibration, those metals will 'anneal' and get brittle and fracture from vibration....I had that happen on a boat engine, that damn aluminum was 1/4 inch thick and 1" wide, but damn if it didn't fracture like glass right at the bolt holding it....

I think you should follow his advice, I have, there must be a reason the factories use steel, I am hesitant to go against that....

:clobbered:

I had a braided oil line fail, but it was from chaffing. So support it well. Have you considered aluminum line. It's easier to work with than steel or stainless. And you can do simple 37 degree flares at the ends. I'm in the process of doing that now.
Thanks for your input.

No, haven't considered aluminum either. BTW. the '91 Helm manual specifically warns about using aluminum or copper tubing for fuel lines. They state alu and copper will not last due vibration. So, probably good idea to support alu lines well too. EDIT: oh Mrvette already said the same thing.

Stainless steel work hardens too but not as bad as alu. You might see the SS work hardening failure in long unsupported lines or maybe a fuel tank in off road vehicle. I once was buying a ss tank for my Land Rover to replace rusted OEM tank but quickly learned that they will not last as long as traditional steel tank if used outside off tarmac. So, not always is SS better.

Gordonm said:
I am one of the ones that has an issue with Russell lines and the gas smell.
Your and others experiences pretty much eliminated Russell from the brands i am considering. It becomes almost impossible to trust the hoses and connectors if you always get gas smell. You don't know when it really leaks and after awhile you stop checking and that is a receipe for problems.

Last edited: