spray gun for lizard skin?

vette427sbc

Do I really need the $70 gun from lizard skin to apply this stuff? Would harbor freight have something cheap I could use? I dont know anything about paint guns so what would I be looking for?

HF has their spray gun on sale, think it's like $9.99 instead of $29.99... I don't see why it wouldn't work with that gun....with a 2.2mm tip.... even if you have to drill the tip and the aircap to make it work .... better than spending $70 for the fancy "lizard gun.."
now, I wouldn't expect this HF gun to be useable for another job after this...but for $9.99..... LOL

I expect to spray my car only once so that would be perfect.
Now I know absolutely nothing about spray guns... What type do I use for this? the lizard skin one looks like it has a siphon tube that just sticks into the bucket.

"if it was me"

I'd buy a cheap $9.99 gun, drill the nozzle and air cap to like 2.4mm (roughly).... and call it a day.... with lizard skin you're not looking for shine or any good surface quality..... just shoot it.... practice with some cheap primer first if you don't know much about using paint guns. man, even I can shoot paint, no doubt you can do it too.... and shooting Lizard skin is like slinging Bondo.... no skills required.... LOL
:lol:

Rich -
Details Please on your DIY LizardSkin!
Whose microspheres did you use (size) and clever idea - you can choose the color latex you like. Any adhesion problems to the fiberglass - has it worn well over time? Just thinking, maybe an epoxy paint with the microspheres added might have better properties.
And - Any Pics?

Cheers - Jim :drink:

THERE we go!!!!, That's what I need paint my vette with, hide all the body work inperfections...:bounce::bounce::rofl:

Rich -
Details Please on your DIY LizardSkin!
Whose microspheres did you use (size) and clever idea - you can choose the color latex you like. Any adhesion problems to the fiberglass - has it worn well over time? Just thinking, maybe an epoxy paint with the microspheres added might have better properties.
And - Any Pics?

Cheers - Jim :drink:

Jim,

I got the idea after seeing a couple of threads about home made lizard skin on the hotrodders.com board. The thing that makes "lizard skin" work is that it is filled with glass microspheres. This is the same stuff that is in products like light weight wallboard joint compound and in body filler materials. I got this stuff from Aircraft Spruce.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/bubbles.php?clickkey=23717

For my coating, I went to Lowes and bought the cheapest latex floor and deck enamel paint they had and had them tint it grey to match my primer. I think my mix ended up to be something like 1 part microspheres to 1 part paint to make a material that would still spray out of an undercoating gun. Too much glass and the paint becomes the consistency of peanut butter. I put down three coats.

I can't give you personal experience on its performance as my car is not yet on the road, but the guys on the hotrodders board report that it works very well. I also added a layer of foil backed closed cell foam insulation so I'm expecting that my insulation factor should be a lot better than it was when the car rolled out of Saint Louis.

Take a look at this thread for my photos.

http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7376&page=2

Rich - thanks for those details and links.
Any thing to add - like coverage - or what do you reckon is an adequate supply to dor the firewall and interior? A pound? Two? I note a range in availability - some "glass", some ceramic some even "evacuated ceramic" for better insulation!

Great idea - Thanks for sharing that great idea and application. BUT--yep, While I'm At It -- strikes again!

Cheers - Jim

Jim,

I bought a pound of microspheres which was more than enough. A pound comes in a bag roughly equivalent in size to a one gallon container. A single gallon of paint was more than enough as well for three coats of the mixed material.

Read the MSDS on the microspheres. It's a bit of a strange material in its raw form and one should be careful not to breathe in any of the dust when handling it.

Give it a try; the savings here verses the commercially available coating is huge. If it comes out as good as mine did you will like the results.

I got a gun made for spraying another brand of interior insulation- $35.
I wasnt too impressed with the way it laid out though. I had to thin out the lizard skin with a bit of water to get it to flow through the gun nicely. I also found that spraying @ around 80psi was way easier than at the 50-70psi recommended. Took me 6 hours to spray all 2 gallons over the whole interior. Would have rather dynamatted it if that stuff didnt weigh so much. Its done though, hopefully I can notice some kind of heat reduction because it sure as hell doesnt "sound" like it will help with reducing road noise