Flattop pistons and valve reliefs

That's $900 for a name brand rotating assembly (no block) from Summit/Jegs.

Measure your bores and measure the taper. IF the holes are straight and clean at first oversize 4.030" then bottle brush and go ... or have the block machined to .040" over and decked to get better CR and quench (you need to know what pistons you want to make this decision).

1700 Euro for a 383 short block is not all that bad considering your location (depending on components of course, name brand stuff or china made)... with the high shipping cost is could cost you more to have a short block built here and shipped....

If your block is fine that's what I'd use (because of your location) - here in the US assembled short blocks start at $1000

You're correct, the newer version includes a DVD

The "big inch small blocks" book is great, you might want to consider a inexpensive cast stroker assembly: includes crank,rods,pistons, rings, maybe bearings for under $900 (600 Euro) :1st:

Agree, the Big Inch Small Block book is great. :goodevil:

You already have a block, if you're interested I have 4 bolt main block complete, it needs an overbore however because 1 cyl. is rusty but it's a std. bore 010 020 (high nickel & tin) block, an excellent base for a nice motor. Much better than your goodwrench one.

You have a DVD burner I presume and you're 'puter savvy enough to create a disc image and burn it? :bounce::yahoo:

$900,- in the US is € 1170,- in NL (or $1815,-). Add the boring, honing, balancing and decking to that and a new shortblock almost certainly is cheaper. Plus my block needs to be clearanced should I want to stroke it.

But, I'll first get the price for separate components and machining and then measure that against a assembled shortblock.

You already have a block, if you're interested I have 4 bolt main block complete, it needs an overbore however because 1 cyl. is rusty but it's a std. bore 010 020 (high nickel & tin) block, an excellent base for a nice motor. Much better than your goodwrench one.

You have a DVD burner I presume and you're 'puter savvy enough to create a disc image and burn it? :bounce::yahoo:

Interesting! So I would only need pistons, rings, an overbore and a hone, right?

Edit: ofcourse I can burn you a copy. (If the MPAA asks, I did not say this :D)

Yes, the crank spins smooth so no need for an align bore, the caps are all fine.

In fact, I have yet another engine. it's a 350 complete and it's in perfect condition. it does have similar 4 relief cast flat top pistons but it was a running motor, I just pulled the heads off. It's also a 4 bolt block, 010. Slap on some heads and it will run just fine. It doesn't need any machining at all....ready to run.

Also interesting :chinese: Could you perhaps send me some more detailed information? Brands, what's on it, what's not (balancer, timing chain, flex plate?), age, mileage, that kind of stuff would be great.

Wonder what I could sell my current shortblock for... Ah well, plenty time to research all options, after my kid's born I think I won't have time for the 'vette for a few months :)

Last edited:
My wife just said she resents time and money being a problem :amused:

Unfortunately, bad things have happened, forcing us to pack up and leave our home overnight. So the 'vette will have to wait untill we've moved, which might be quite a few months. :bomb: :censored: :cussing:

Unfortunately, bad things have happened, forcing us to pack up and leave our home overnight. So the 'vette will have to wait untill we've moved, which might be quite a few months. :bomb: :censored: :cussing:

Sorry to hear this. Taking care of your family is number 1. The vette will wait. Hope things work out you.

hope everything turns out ok.... best wishes :thumbs:

hope everything turns out ok.... best wishes :thumbs:

i agree,,best to ya'

Thanks guys! Glass company and carpenter came by today and yesterday... need a new front door and window. Both door and glass need to be special ordered because of the non-standard sizes. That takes up the whole 'vette budget, but at least we're all still in one peace. :)

We had a group of five 'hoodies' making noise in front of our house late at night. :mad: My 8 month pregnant girlfriend asked politely if they could keep it down and in reply they tried to kick in our front door and threatened her. :bonkers: They also threatened to throw in our windows, which they did at 2:30 in the morning! :cussing:

Needless to say, we packed our bags first thing in the morning. These guys, part of a larger group of unemployed, good-for-nothing, ill-manered, frankly just criminal hoodlums have been causing trouble in our neighbourhood for over 2 years now and officials are doing nothing about it. Apperantly it's okay to hang around drinking, smoking weed, throwing in busstop windows and wrecking other people's property, but if I park somewhere I shouldn't for 5 minutes... :bomb:

Anyway, this was the final drop (well, more of a flood actually), we have moved to a safe location and we're selling our house asap. :surrender: This country is going to hell rapidly :evil:

holy crap :eek:

get out of there before worse things happen...

Insurance is not covering it ? If even the slightest tiny piece of your property got stolen it's burglary which is usually covered (vandalism is not covered)....

Wait, are you saying the ever vigilant police force did nothing about it? Did they give you that crap about not being able to do anything about it..yadda yadda...

Typical!

Wait, are you saying the ever vigilant police force did nothing about it? Did they give you that crap about not being able to do anything about it..yadda yadda...

Typical!

That's what they did :footmouth:

We got out of there alright, looking for a realtor already. Insurancecompany hasn't responded yet, but I need a new door and window, so I'll fight that battle later.

Thanks for the support guys :beer: