new build pics of 409

kwplot34

Heart Attack
Here are the pics of my new build in progress.
400 block bored .40 over,3.75 stroke,6 inch rods,SRP pistons,eagle crank and rods and a bunch of other stuff. Abd spiral locks are a pain in the ASS to install,but i got the hang of it,and file fit rings,another pain in the butt LOL.
384fc16c054dfe6.jpg
384fc16c066db9c.jpg
384fc16c076db61.jpg
384fc16c0871605.jpg
384fc16c0906726.jpg

Last edited:
The cam is a solid roller,and the cam spec card,lakewood bell housing,Hayes SFI flywheel.
384fc16c68cad04.jpg
384fc16c67ce3b9.jpg
384fc16c69cfa96.jpg

Comp cam solid rollers,with the priority oiling for the roller bearings,and comps roller lifters.
384fc16c0a0a548.jpg
384fc16c66c91fb.jpg
384fc16c6ac6db1.jpg
The old motor 388. that oil pan and rotating assy and cam and hyd roller lifters are for sale.
384fc16c9928167.jpg

Last edited:
Jamb a gear drive on that puppy. You'll like the whine noise.;) Also, drill the front oil galley plug, and squirt oil up front. Drive side only.:bounce:

She's real fine. My 409.

That thing's gonna haul ass.

That is what im hoping for :clap:

Sorry BIRD,No gear drive :amazed: that whine would get annoying after a while.
you cant make it out on back of the piston,but they are SRP pistons,solid roller cam,the lifters have priority oiling for the wheel,supposed to make them last longer :quote: they better at that price.
should be around 11:6 comp.
Hay's SFI fly wheel and scatter sheild. thats a cloys timing cover,and those are my Brodix heads,had them freshened up and the springs installed.
3.75 stroke,6" rods.

Last edited:
Bird has a good point- drill that galley plug to shoot some extra oil on the chain. Keep it cool and happy.
:clap:

Here are some pics of the build so far. picked up the heads,cam,lifters etc today, now to finish putting it all together.
384fbc30cbdd488.jpg

I you are planing on using a peformance head gasket you need to drill the extra water holes in the deck for the best results, The machine shop should have picked up on the when torque plate honing.

Here is a link to look over

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/90678_small_block_400_cooling_tricks/index.html

The instructions on those FelPro gaskets even state that you need to drill those holes, just don't loose the drill bit down the water jacket :)

yes i was told to drill the head gaskets,and Brodix told to drill them and gave me the size. I am using the Fel Pro part # that Brodix suggested

Its still not as effective as doing the right way!!!! That extra hoile in the decks help keep the center of the heads cooler because of the exhast valves being together in the center of the head.

Some machine shops just don't have a clue!!!

That extra hoile in the decks help keep the center of the heads cooler because of the exhast valves being together in the center of the head.

I thought it was because the bores were siamesed on a 400 and there is room for small steam pockets. I've looked at my Rodeck block and decided not to drill any holes in the head. On the Rodeck there is very little room for steam pockets to develop.

There is a school of thought out there that using a good high volume water pump makes this mod less necessary.

The other thing i hate about drilling my own holes in heads and decks and such is that it weakens things and provides a place for a crack to start. Plus i can't seem to drill a hole in the right exact spot or perfectly straight to save my life..

I respect your many years of experience and your standing in the business and not looking for an argument. Just throwing some alternate ideas out there.

Last edited:
Just turn the short block upside down on the stand and drill the holes laying on your back.... no big deal..... gravity should do it's job and the chips won't go in the block.... wear goggles.... de-burr the holes with a Dremel and sandpaper roll....
done.....

:3rd:

Yea.. it was looking sweet...need progress pics...it's going to be badass!

Last edited by a moderator:
word for word from the fel pro instructions.
coolant flow.
most head gasket failures occur between the center cylinders because of excessive heat due to back to back exhaust valves. to correct this situation, more coolant flow must be provided to this area. This can be accomplished through the use of a more efficient pump, higher pump speed, restricting the coolant out of the engine ( increases jacket pressure) or revising the coolant holes in the castings and/or gaskets. REMEMBER to make only one change ata time so the effect of a change can be determined.

Note: Edelbrock is one manufacturer who has introduced a new series of pumps with improved coolant efficiency. Also, electric water pumps generally do not flow enough coolant to remove the heat produced by the engine

word for word from the fel pro instructions.
coolant flow.
most head gasket failures occur between the center cylinders because of excessive heat due to back to back exhaust valves. to correct this situation, more coolant flow must be provided to this area. This can be accomplished through the use of a more efficient pump, higher pump speed, restricting the coolant out of the engine ( increases jacket pressure) or revising the coolant holes in the castings and/or gaskets. REMEMBER to make only one change ata time so the effect of a change can be determined.

Note: Edelbrock is one manufacturer who has introduced a new series of pumps with improved coolant efficiency. Also, electric water pumps generally do not flow enough coolant to remove the heat produced by the engine

if you install the high flow pump and don't drill the holes (even if you did both) - how are you supposed to determine the effect of the change ? you would need a thermocouple right at that spot....