Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Engine

Old 12-16-2018, 07:51 AM
Australia | Addict

My Photos: (172)
Default Stahl Sbc headers

I am trying to find some info about Stahl small block headers for road racing, did you guys ever used them and what do you think of them ?

I have at the moment some Doug's side pipes, and happy with. But in the process of replacing the steel inserts with a lighter set up, I was wondering if the Stahl system could be a better exhaust all together ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:19 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (663)

I have a set of the Stahl 180 degree headers, but haven't run them yet.

They went out of business a few years back, so you'll have a tough time finding a New set - maybe some NOS around folks haven't installed yet. I dealt with Judy, and she was wonderful to work with. Her comment on my set was something like, "...not only will you like the power - you'll love the sound!"
Hopefully this spring I'll hear them.

Cheers - Jim
Old 12-17-2018, 07:39 AM
Australia | Addict

Well! they are being built again by ACP headers, in a lot of different styles (staggered).
But I would like to know how they compare to the rest.

Phantom I bet that your exhaust will sound similar to a GT40 302
Old 12-17-2018, 10:17 AM
United States | Addict

That's good news. I bet there was a deal made there. Stahl had a good rep in the hot rod and drag racing communities, but he was apparently a man who had a low tollerance for fools.

Judy suggested it would have a V-12 like sound. I'm waiting to here the "cacophony" I've created, withe those headers, a gear drive in the engine and the Webers. The sounds will be "interesting" I'm sure.

Can't help on a comparison, its been years since I had the hookers on, let alone run the engine.

Cheers - Jim
Old 12-17-2018, 09:37 PM
United States | Addict

I guess not many of his users here. But I noted a good number of favorable comment over on the BRAND X forum. Cheers - Jim
Old 12-18-2018, 12:30 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (47)

Thierry do you have any pictures of your Dougs sidepipes? I have a set of Dougs long tubes on another car and I really liked the fit and quality. Nicer than my Hooker pipes...

Jim- VERY cool headers... Ill be anxiously waiting for the soundclip when you get them installed! I assume these are dry-sump only fitment?
Old 12-18-2018, 01:42 AM
United States | Addict

Chris -

That would have been the right approach. I (we - my welder and I ) did a lot of mods to make them side exit -- and a further aft deep sump pan. Fact of the matter I could have gone dry sump for less $$, extra welding, pans, time, etc. Too late smart!

I'll shoot some pics this month as I restart the build. Be a bit until engine run - but I want to hear them too!

Cheers Jim
Old 12-18-2018, 07:13 AM
Australia | Addict

Chris, do you want to see something in particular? The car is on the hoist so easy to do

Jim, thanks for the info.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:03 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (47)

A general undercar shot would be great if you donít mind! Eventually Iíll be converting whatever headers I run to be 180į like Jimís but there are a few collector designs that I like/donít like
Old 12-18-2018, 10:47 PM
United States | Addict

Default Stahl 180 degree headers

Here are a few shots - still a "work in progress." I'm not sure Jere Stahl would have approved of the mods, but they fit and now go to a side exit vice the 4 tubes straight aft. Would have played havoc with the underbody Aero-Plans!

Pax upper shows the type of mods we needed to make for my application.

Surprisingly, we were able to keep the tube lengths within an inch of each other - overall. Pretty lucky I'd say.
Here looking down the pax side - more mods, and you can see the new oil pan that was wider aft, but also further aft than the one I had. {BTW - the former is for sale now!}

Not a lot to see on side exit, but the tubes go 4-into-2, then the 2 are exiting. Will swing 90 degree aft and run down under the side skirts - (think fancy no-step running boards!).

Drivers side is "not quite" a mirror of the pax;

But you can see the work we had to do here too. Sure glad I know somebody that can TIG! Better still - he was committed to getting it right and I was real happy with the work.
This shot of the Drivers down shows a bit of work to still do. The headers after all the effort, still banged against the block/pan. SO I had another shop CNC a set of 1/2 AL spacers/anti-reversion/adapter - thingies, so no need to sort out a joining method under the pan. I think we'll be making and welding on (one side) Slip Joints.

Lookin' like I'll have to double U-Joint the steering shaft. And, I still have to find some foot room somewhere too!

We could not have done this work without the use of some really cool header tools:

They go for about a hundred a set and I have two sets - that will let go for $100 + shipping -- Shameless sales plug - I know. I'll post in sales section full details tomorrow.

Cheers - Jim