Fuel sender float?

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
I'm almost, ALMOST reliable with my 240z project. The last major hurtle it seems I have to cross is still related to fuel contamination. Now, though, the problem is the float for the sender is dissolving. This is the car that sat in the desert for about 15 years. The gas was so bad it has literally eaten away the black nitrophyl (I think) material. Now the problem is that as this thing dissolves it continually plugs up the strainer I have before the fuel pump. I can get about 3-5 miles before it is so plugged up I have to pull and clean the strainer. I had the tank out yesterday and verified this is the problem as I can rub the float with my bare hands and it flakes off in fine particles.
If possible, I would like to either fix this one or just find a float to replace it. The sending unit is so old it's unlikely I can find a rebuilt/refurb and I doubt there will be anything that will be a drop-in replacement.

I don't like plastic fuel floats no matter where they located....

I dunno how, but I"d be looking for a brass float, even if I had to MAKE one....

:clobbered:

I've thought about it but I'm just not sure of the long term durability. Might get me through until I can find something to replace it.
Thing is, I bought some floats for a Holley that were modified. Looked like they just melted part of the nitrophyl. I tried it on a damaged float but couldn't figure out exactly how they did it. I tried a heat gun and torch but couldn't replicate the results.

Last edited:
Hell, for that price I'll buy a brand new generic one and cut the float off it. A universal is about $35.00. I just hate the idea of buying something and then cutting it up.

What you need is this:

http://www.e-aircraftsupply.com/air...cat=products&gclid=cjvi3pgfiaccfcqs7qodvxxcea

A thin coat of that on the exisiting float and no more problem. PRC 1422B 1/2. Stinks like an outhouse, gooey as taffy, but will seal like no tomorrow. Wear rubber gloves when you handle it, get it on your skin and you won't be welcome in the house for a while.

Wanna send me a little? :bounce:

I'll see if I can find some- all the aircraft stuff has an expiration date- can't use it on a plane after it's date, but nothing wrong with it.