Any Ford gurus in here?

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
I was working on a neighbor's E350 van earlier today. It's a 92 with the FI 5.8 Windsor motor in it. So I'm underneath this thing and notice a wire that's obviously been put there by someone after the fact. The wire is just tied around what I believe is the oil pressure sender and tied to a ground stud. I pull the wire off because it looks like some kind of rigged thing and don't know why it's there. After that, the fuel pump doesn't work. So I put the wire back on and then the pump works. What gives? Anybody know why this is done? I've seen it a couple times before but never knew why people did it.

I don't think those cars have an oil pressure switch parallel to the fp. relay (PCM controlled) to unload the relay. It would also not account for the FP not running, unless the relay was dead or not triggered by the PCM. This would make the car hard to start (FP will only run w/ oil pressure and trigger the 12v to pump), if it is that it sounds like an oil press switch that does not ground properly due to someone possible using teflon tape or too much thread sealer. Could also be that it's some kind of sensor used by the PCM to allow the FP to run. This is on the engine right? Not the inertia switch?

ford uses inertia switches since the Pinto desaster LOL ... I found out the hard way : got rear ended in my Mustang and I fixed the damage in my driveway....got a new bumper cover and taillights.... after I was done with the repairs the car wouldn't start...had a nice freshly painted bumper and new taillights though ... LOL.... pissed me off so I let the car sit there.... three days later I found the inertia switch in the trunk.... I realized I beat the crap out of the impact bar under the bumper and triggered it... funny though that the accident did not.... :lol:

sure sounds like they needed to ground the sensor....i wonder if for some reason like teflon tape or sealent on the threads the pressure switch doesnt get the ground circuit it needs.

The fuel pump on those vans is controlled by the pcm, relay and crash switch. in series.
With the key on (not running) the fuel pump will run for 3 seconds and turn off.
The crash switch should be behind the pass kick panel.

Wow, guys. Thanks for the help. VetteMOD coming through again. So what is this inertia switch? And is it resetable?
It really doesn't make sense to me the way this is all wired up but like I said, this isn't the first time I've seen this. And incidentally, to support the current hypothesis, it does take a little longer than one might expect for a FI engine to start. Nothing major, probably 6-8 seconds, but noticeable. The oil pressure gauge works fine so that part surprises me.

the inertia switch is a switch that turns off when it gets impacted like in a rear end crash. they are resettable. if you have a newer DD look in the owners manual it will point you to where the switch is located...in fact i bet if you google the owners manual for that truck you will find the location of the switch ususally in the back of the vehcile.