Carbon Fiber body parts

Finally infused our first hood today! I know it won't be perfect since it's the first one, but I'm excited to get it out of the mold tomorrow evening and see how it came out. Look for photo updates after 8pm tomorrow.

:yahoo:

Ok! Lots going on this evening. Finished molding the '67 BB hood and also pulled my first carbon part! It actually came out much better than I expected. It's still not something I'd probably sell to someone but it looks damn good for my first try. Check it out for yourself.

Attachments

• DSC00351.jpg
    DSC00351.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00348.jpg
    DSC00348.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00349.jpg
    DSC00349.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00350.jpg
    DSC00350.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00352.jpg
    DSC00352.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 25
Congratulations! Learning heaps I imagine.
I have 78 rockers and Pace Car front spoiler if you need them. PM here.

Cheers - Jim

Looks nice! But how come it looks like a big block hood on the inside but a small block hood on the outside?

I think you are confusing the bb hood mold and the small block hood I made out of carbon. I didn't show any pictures of the carbon hood underside.

Had a bit of a setback. Infused the BB hood and the bag created over a dozen leaks in it so it ruined the part. I tried out a new bagging material on it and needless to say, I won't be using that one again. It created a perfect vacuum and drop test but once we started to infuse it created pinholes.

Well, after getting two parts ruined from leaks in the bag I finally discovered that the bag material I was using and the resin I was using was incompatible. I didn't know that was even possible but again, lesson learned. Now I'm waiting on more fabric to show up so I can make my part.

Will finally be de-molding my first C3 hood of the lot. Hoping to get it prepped and molded in time for Carlisle.

Attachments

• DSC00359.jpg
    DSC00359.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00361.jpg
    DSC00361.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 15
"Under Pressure..."

Nothing like a deadline to get you moving eh? No pressure there! I'm not nearly ready for this year - it will be next - unless I trash it on the track next season..

Cheers - Jim

Nothing like a deadline to get you moving eh? No pressure there! I'm not nearly ready for this year - it will be next - unless I trash it on the track next season..

Cheers - Jim

No kidding! Of course today is going to set me back quite a bit... I got a phone call last night that I have to fly to Tennessee to pick up my sister in law and her daughters. That's going to be 4 ours of the day that I can't get back...

Well... considering that I didn't have any advertising, bad weather, and two blemished hood skins, I think the Carlisle show went pretty well.

Attachments

• IMG_20140822_085546_700.jpg
    IMG_20140822_085546_700.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 14
I was part of a small group that built vehicles a long time ago. And the guys doing molds and bodies, found that they had to keep the first coat of gel coat to a certain thickness or the body would be blemished when pulled. They used a thickness gage to check while it was wet. Don't know if that's any help to you but something to consider.

Just a quick update, I've been gone quite a bit and haven't been able to get much work done. Currently though we are working on rocker panels for both C2 and C3 vettes. It appears that one set fits all, even though some years have different designs, they all appear to fit one another so, one set of CF rockers should fit all years and if they are going to be CF then there shouldn't be any need to make multiple molds of different styles.

Edit: Just wanted to make it clear. One set of C2 rockers fit all C2 cars and one set of C3 rockers fits all C3 cars... Hopefully, lol.

So I have some rocker panels I'm getting ready to mold but I'm trying to decide what to do with the tabs. It would be a ton easier to not include the tabs with the part, but I'm not sure how critical the tabs are.

So that is my question. How important are the tabs on the rocker panels? Are they necessary or can you get by without them?

Just letting you guys know that I haven't given up. Just going through some personal stuff right now.