Repainting my 1878 Indy Pace Car

You may have thought it looks good in this pic, but my Pace Car is actually the one int the driveway not the one by the curb.

010505-012.jpg

LOL you can barely see there's another PaceCar... I too though the paint wasn't all that bad before you stripped it. :lol:

these show some of the bare spots

v6.jpg
v5.jpg

Notice on the nose.

DSC03257.jpg
DSC03258.jpg

:crap::crap::crap:

Thats funny,the paint on the nose of your car looks like the paint on mine :lol:
It looks very good,i hope mine comes out that nice.I will be repainting this winter,going to stay with the original color Black. Needless to say my 30yo paint has seen better days :sos:

How much does your painter charge for a paint job??

here are some pics of mine.
101_0623.jpg

100_0462.jpg

Don't let the shine fool you :lol:

Well if your read all the info I posted at the beginning, On the Corvette Forum every Christmas they have a giveaway/pay it forward thread where guys offer things they have at no charge to other members. 2 years ago Forum Member LittleJake offered a free paint job, just pay $1000 for half the materials the rest is on him. He picked my car this year and has done an awesome job!

So all this has cost me $1000, and a lifetime of thanks to LittleJake in Nashville,TN.

Also the gas to trailer it back and forth from Houston to Nashville. I am glad the car is in Nashville now since I live off Galveston Bay and they are expecting 12 feet of water in my neighborhood. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

Well if your read all the info I posted at the beginning, On the Corvette Forum every Christmas they have a giveaway/pay it forward thread where guys offer things they have at no charge to other members. 2 years ago Forum Member LittleJake offered a free paint job, just pay $1000 for half the materials the rest is on him. He picked my car this year and has done an awesome job!

So all this has cost me $1000, and a lifetime of thanks to LittleJake in Nashville,TN.

Also the gas to trailer it back and forth from Houston to Nashville. I am glad the car is in Nashville now since I live off Galveston Bay and they are expecting 12 feet of water in my neighborhood. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Holy Sheet X2!!!!!!

1k...damn that is fantastic!

12 ft of water...holy sheet again! We'll definitely keep in you in our thoughts and prayers!

Man. that looks fantastic :thumbs::thumbs:

Don't take this the wrong way but it sort of almost seems a shame to put the decals back on it. I know they should be there, but that paint job is damn gorgeous without the decals...

I love it with the decals, without it it's just not a pace car :)

Man. that looks fantastic :thumbs::thumbs:

Don't take this the wrong way but it sort of almost seems a shame to put the decals back on it. I know they should be there, but that paint job is damn gorgeous without the decals...

It is an awesome paint job but I would not have it any other way than without the decals, I feel it is what makes the car a Pace Car otherwise it is just two tone paint job.

It is an awesome paint job but I would not have it any other way than without the decals, I feel it is what makes the car a Pace Car otherwise it is just two tone paint job.
I agree, it wouldn't be a Pace Car without them but I also thought it looked nice as just a two tone. Don't get me wrong, it looks great with the decals but it also looked good without them :thumbs:

You didn't consider putting the decals under the clearcoat ??
If the decals are like vinyl lettering then you'd need shit loads of clear to give you enough build up so that you could rub it back and not have the decal edge visible

You didn't consider putting the decals under the clearcoat ??
If the decals are like vinyl lettering then you'd need shit loads of clear to give you enough build up so that you could rub it back and not have the decal edge visible

It would take a ton of clear to do that and that is not the way it was done originally, The decals cam with the cars and if the owner wanted, the were installed at the dealer.

...The decals cam with the cars and if the owner wanted, the were installed at the dealer.
I didn't know that part - I thought if you bought a pace car, they came with the decals already...

Yeah, I remember seeing the one pace car alloted to the dlr in Hawaii (stickers installed); they wanted $25,000 for it, which at that time we thought was outrageous for a car.

Yes, the stickers were optional and some got them in a box for future install. A friend of mine has pace car and one of his complains in the wax building up at the decals... must be a pain to polish and wax the car around the decals, that's why I'd prefer to have them in the clear. I didn't think they were that thick.. it probably takes quiet a bit of clear to cover them evenly, likely why they NOT under the clearcoat :footmouth::thumbs::trumpet:

Yes, the stickers were optional and some got them in a box for future install. A friend of mine has pace car and one of his complains in the wax building up at the decals... must be a pain to polish and wax the car around the decals, that's why I'd prefer to have them in the clear. I didn't think they were that thick.. it probably takes quiet a bit of clear to cover them evenly, likely why they NOT under the clearcoat :footmouth::thumbs::trumpet:

Didn't they use acrylic lacquer paint on the '78's?

yup.... lacquer...... how could I forget about the stuff that I scraped/stripped/sanded off my '79...LOL.....back then they didn't use base/clear..