What a mess

Excellent Job Kevin!

It's hard to believe you've never done any body work or painting before!

Learn any lessons? :yahoo:

Thank you Guy's, anybody have any good tip's,trick's,or tools to get that compound out of those tight places you can't get your finger or a towel in???? that stuff sticks out like sore thumb :suspicious:

You were suppose to put masking tape over the cracks so the compound doesn't get in there. Too late now, but do that the next time. You get it out with a soft tooth brush and water.

:push: OH, dangit,OK so a soft tooth brush will work well? that compound does loosen up and remove very easy with water when you can get to it,unlike wax that crap does not like to come off. Hey can you do this with wax also,just tape over the cracks?????

If you use a good carnuba, you won't need to mask anything...stuff goes on like butter, it does not dry...wipe off and light buff and bingo.

Also, there is a real good synthetic paint sealer that is suppose to be great on black finishes if you want to use that instead of wax....or you can wax over it.

http://autogeek.net/wg5500.html

Perhaps our paint experts have an opinion on this stuff?

:waxer:

Excellent Job Kevin!

It's hard to believe you've never done any body work or painting before!

Learn any lessons? :yahoo:

Any lessons, Yea, there is no easy way around a good paint job,you will have to sand,sand,and sand some more and put in a lot of prep time and use good products,No simple,easy or cheap way out of it. I can't imagine what this would of looked like if i had skimped on labor and used cheap products.
In the end,it is all worth the effort and time.

No i did not,wished i would have now,it would be interesting to know just how many hours i put into it,and still putting into it.

No i did not,wished i would have now,it would be interesting to know just how many hours i put into it,and still putting into it.

I'll bet if you looked back at the calendar, you could take a stab at it.

People used to ask me how many hours I had in my engine bay of my "show" Grand Prix. I estimated it was about 400 hours of custom paint, sanding, detailing, custom work, etc.

I'm thinking that may come under the heading of "You really DON'T want to know."

Kevin, it's really looking good. Black is (IMHO) one of the toughest, if not THE toughest color to get to look good. It shows every litle imperfection like there was a spotlight on it.

Yes it does and the more i sanded and buffed on it those little spots would show up,i have went back and touched up several spots that i did not wet sand properly or just flat out missed,i think i have taken care of all of them for now,but i am sure time will make some more pop out :cussing:

Thank you Guy's, anybody have any good tip's,trick's,or tools to get that compound out of those tight places you can't get your finger or a towel in???? that stuff sticks out like sore thumb :suspicious:

You were suppose to put masking tape over the cracks so the compound doesn't get in there. Too late now, but do that the next time. You get it out with a soft tooth brush and water.

:push: OH, dangit,OK so a soft tooth brush will work well? that compound does loosen up and remove very easy with water when you can get to it,unlike wax that crap does not like to come off. Hey can you do this with wax also,just tape over the cracks?????

If you use a good carnuba, you won't need to mask anything...stuff goes on like butter, it does not dry...wipe off and light buff and bingo.

Also, there is a real good synthetic paint sealer that is suppose to be great on black finishes if you want to use that instead of wax....or you can wax over it.

http://autogeek.net/wg5500.html

Perhaps our paint experts have an opinion on this stuff?

He's talking about the compound, not wax. It's always a good idea to put masking tape during buffing so you don't burn the edges and lips and paper on everything else that you don't want compounded. I don't know of any compound that contains carnauba wax in it. Also the paint needs to cure before he can wax it with any kind of wax or sealer. This can take months before it is able to be waxed depending on the paint vendor.

Danny

Yea no wax for at least 3 months,which is fine with me, i am tired of rubbing that car down, i think my arms are just about ready to fall off :surrender: and i have never herd my shoulders pop so much.

Once you get your hardware greased, with these "dates" you're having, next you'll be getting your pipes cleaned too.

:waxer:[/QUOTE]
He's talking about the compound, not wax. It's always a good idea to put masking tape during buffing so you don't burn the edges and lips and paper on everything else that you don't want compounded. I don't know of any compound that contains carnauba wax in it. Also the paint needs to cure before he can wax it with any kind of wax or sealer. This can take months before it is able to be waxed depending on the paint vendor.

Danny[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am aware about the time needed for the paint to cure.

Guess I missed it....I thought he was asking about taping over the cracks while waxing.

:push: OH, dangit,OK so a soft tooth brush will work well? that compound does loosen up and remove very easy with water when you can get to it,unlike wax that crap does not like to come off.

Danny

Yes, I am aware about the time needed for the paint to cure.

Guess I missed it....I thought he was asking about taping over the cracks while waxing.[/QUOTE]

Hey can you do this with wax also,just tape over the cracks?????
[/quote]

As SmokinBBC said with the carnauba wax or what ever you decide to use, no, you do not need to tape during the waxing.

Danny

Hey Smokin! have you tried that stuff from Wolfgang or know any body that has tried it? I purchased some time back a kit from Adam's polishes that has all sorts of cleaners and some Butter wax in it,i used all of the stuff and followed his directions on the old paint once last year and it made that paint look darn good from 20 feet away anyway. Hopefully it will keep my new paint looking good. There is so much stuff out there anymore it's hard to make a decision on what to use :huh2: