Looking for infos on rear spoiler design

Yes, the reason for it being so high was to get into the smooth airflow above the roof where it could be effective, instead of down in the rear deck turbulence.

I agree that having it that high improves the wing's efficiency, but I've also heard that it needed to be that high to allow the trunk lid to fully open. A nice side effect/benefit is that the substantial vertical area on each side support moves the center of aerodynamic pressure to behind the c/g, making those cars a lot more stable at speed than their contemporary competitors.

Yes, the daytona and superbirds spoilers were so high to keep the trunk functional, nothing more nothing less

KidVette, are those rear spoilers period-correct?
Because some looks quite ricer to me, I not sure you're being sarcastic.
No offense.So today's classic are yesterday's "ricer".

Gotta remember this is period correct as well. :twitch:

534f0e758d09f8d.jpg

One of my oldest buddies was literally crying in his soda pop over not having one of them.....serious alligator tears....

:friends::crap:

I agree that having it that high improves the wing's efficiency, but I've also heard that it needed to be that high to allow the trunk lid to fully open.

Ah shit! I have no doubt whatsoever that that is a true reason! After all in those days, NASCAR actually meant National Association of STOCK Car Automobile Racing...I read the propaganda in Hot Rod Magazine or Car Craft or some such way back when and--and--I believed them.....

[EDIT] No, no, I retract the above.

They were over-the-top even then, & released to the public only in a very limited number only to be able to give them 'stock' car status so they could race in NASCAR. After all, those others allowed the trunk to open too. "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday". The advantage they had was real (with that nose they had an equal part of it too) (& that nose was ugly even then, no matter how much we could excuse it for 'aerodynamics') and caused great protest from other makes & brought about rule changes. Those cars kicked ass for a year or two until rule changes directed specifically against them forced them off the race circuit. And I do remember that the rule changes were very much about the extremely limited number of those cars released to the public and so whether they could truly be considered 'stock'. I do remember that.

Last edited:
KidVette, are those rear spoilers period-correct?
Because some looks quite ricer to me, I not sure you're being sarcastic.
No offense.So today's classic are yesterday's "ricer".

Gotta remember this is period correct as well. :twitch:

534f0e758d09f8d.jpg

Yes, but also remember that this, and the Charger Daytona spoiler, were actually functional, not just decorative.

Hmmm, I've read that the entire effort with the high spoiler was nothing but a decoy to lure the Tech guys away from some subtle rear deck mods. The actual spoiler contributed nothing but eye candy while the rear deck lid was doing the work.

I don't know but I like the story....;)

How else would I get my Hobie from race to race?
-- Ahhh those were the days --
Now I'm the one hitched - the Hobies are gone - the vette in pieces.
Keeping the spoiler though!
Cheers - Jim

How else would I get my Hobie from race to race?
-- Ahhh those were the days --
Now I'm the one hitched - the Hobies are gone - the vette in pieces.
Keeping the spoiler though!
Cheers - Jim

Odd., I owned a Hobie 18? 19? down here for a little while, but found I'm too much with arthritis to sail like I used to years ago, used to have a Flying Scot up in Maryland, they very popular here at the local sailing club about 4 miles away....

:friends::D

Yes, but also remember that this, and the Charger Daytona spoiler, were actually functional, not just decorative.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I've read that the entire effort with the high spoiler was nothing but a decoy to lure the Tech guys away from some subtle rear deck mods. The actual spoiler contributed nothing but eye candy while the rear deck lid was doing the work.

I don't know but I like the story....;)[/QUOTE]

My take on the wing was ....... it was the vertical fins that gave the advantage and not so much the horizontal part. It acted like the tail fin on an airplane which would allow the car to hammer the corners at a greater speed without the rearend trying to pass the front..... or so I was told.

Yes, but also remember that this, and the Charger Daytona spoiler, were actually functional, not just decorative.

I don't know but I like the story....;)[/QUOTE]

My take on the wing was ....... it was the vertical fins that gave the advantage and not so much the horizontal part. It acted like the tail fin on an airplane which would allow the car to hammer the corners at a greater speed without the rearend trying to pass the front..... or so I was told.[/QUOTE]

Did you all know a boat maker used that exact spoiler on it's boat. They have an original mold and all.