C3 Headlight Modification

I just picked up a set of the old Eckler square pop up headlight bezels. So I guess I have started collecting parts to see if I can make a set of the low profile headlights. Next is getting the Camaro lights. This is a low priority project. I first need to get the car back together, painted, interior, and back on the road.

Those 93-97 lights are (unlike some aftermarket junk) designed for a car and DOT approved and so on, if they fit it would be a nice upgrade. Now, how do you limit how far the door opens?

If you change the link that pushes the door up to this shorter one, you can change the door up position to 4 inches up at the front edge. This puts the lid at about level when the door is up. The pdf attached to this is scaled 1:1 if anyone wants to make one.

44f2e7d1026e64.jpg

Headlight120906e.jpg

Headlight120906a.jpg

Attachments

• Headlight Link.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 10
Those 93-97 lights are (unlike some aftermarket junk) designed for a car and DOT approved and so on, if they fit it would be a nice upgrade. Now, how do you limit how far the door opens?

If you change the link that pushes the door up to this shorter one, you can change the door up position to 4 inches up at the front edge. This puts the lid at about level when the door is up. The pdf attached to this is scaled 1:1 if anyone wants to make one.

44f2e7d1026e64.jpg

Headlight120906e.jpg

Headlight120906a.jpg

Thanks you for your reply. The new part should be easy enough to fabricate and worth a try. My initial thoughts were to shorten rod on the actuator and maybe the clevis to gain the adjustment I would need. It might end up a combination of both. How did you get to the new link? Do you have a CAD model of the orginal headlightsl? Thanks for sharing your drawing and your ideas. They are really appreciated. Once I get to that point I will share the results.

Last edited:

44f2e7d1026e64.jpg

Headlight120906e.jpg

Headlight120906a.jpg
Is the design tested?
I was curious to know if the shorter link keeps the hysteresis of the assy.
If so I will probably jump on the bandwagon.

...I was curious to know if the shorter link keeps the hysteresis of the assy...
Ok, let's make myself clearer :
Does the headlight assembly retains its two stable states?

If you would like to know if it supports itself in the up and down position, the answer is yes. It works like a toggle link, same as the originial only the link is shorter.

I'm neutral on the styling. Both stock and custom setups look goofy when they're up, IMO. My interest is if the custom setup is less weight than the stock setup, given that any weight difference is way up front. Any guesstimates?

From tech section

C3 complete headlight ass'y with actators, frame, door, bezel and lamps: 17lbs each

...I was curious to know if the shorter link keeps the hysteresis of the assy...
Ok, let's make myself clearer :
Does the headlight assembly retains its two stable states?

If you would like to know if it supports itself in the up and down position, the answer is yes. It works like a toggle link, same as the originial only the link is shorter.
Awesomeness confirmed. Thanks alot.

From tech section

C3 complete headlight ass'y with actators, frame, door, bezel and lamps: 17lbs each

Guess I would have to accept that number, but I remember them heavy as hell when pulling the wreckage outta my car years ago....I would have said lots heavier than any 17 lbs each....more like 30, total....

:eek:

Guess I would have to accept that number, but I remember them heavy as hell when pulling the wreckage outta my car years ago....I would have said lots heavier than any 17 lbs each....more like 30, total....

!7 lbs EACH
34 lbs TOTAL

!7 lbs EACH
34 lbs TOTAL

haha, got me, typo, I thought more closer to 30 EACH....ok 25 each, just a guess when disgusted having to pull them out after a wreck, pissed beYOND belief....

:crutches: still think yours were filled with helium....

:bonkers:

I'm kind of old school on this subject. My pop-ups have older Hella H4 and H1 units installed, 100W bulbs in the H1s. There's a nice Ford under-hood fuse and relay box powering the lights. Excellent lighting without a ton of custom work - I just had to use a hole saw to cut the back of the assembly behind the high beam housings for clearance.