69 dash pad repair

redvetracr

I have a nice black top dash pad out of a 69, there seems to be a bit of a bubble at the center vent where the vinyl separated from the fiberglass backing, what glue would you use to repair this?...thanks in advance

I am by no means an expert interior repair technician, but I have had good results with Scotch-Weld™ Vinyl Adhesive 1099 or Permatex vinyl adhesive. Without seeing the bubble, I'm not sure how easy it would be to apply under the vinyl. Can you peel the vinyl back a little to get access under the loose part? A little soft heat from a heat gun will soften the vinyl and make it flexible. Not to much though!!

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert interior repair technician, but I have had good results with Scotch-Weld™ Vinyl Adhesive 1099 or Permatex vinyl adhesive. Without seeing the bubble, I'm not sure how easy it would be to apply under the vinyl. Can you peel the vinyl back a little to get access under the loose part? A little soft heat from a heat gun will soften the vinyl and make it flexible. Not to much though!!

the vinyl is loose at the center vent so yes, I can get to the loose part...thanks

the vinyl is loose at the center vent so yes, I can get to the loose part...thanks

MY only comment is that through the years of messing with these vinyl interiors when they get old, is the largest problem is the blow on/in foam underneath the vinyl surface, it is largely disintegrated and won't hole shit, just crumbles....I have NO clue WTF it's made of, and MY experience is the vinyl is so hard and UNforgiving it will crack just from a thumb print....

I got exceedingly lucky some years ago, needing a top cover for my '72 and so got one for like 80 bux + shipping....so for maybe 120 bux the worst, I got a used dash, UNcracked or warped, so I got a can of dye and redid the previous sloppy off color dye work.....

knock on wood, it's a damn close match and still in the car....been like 8 years now...maybe more....

years before that, my Lemans convertible needed a dash....talk about a mother effer....not even close and all the junkyard items broke or just as bad....but at least I had a cheap core....off to a outfit called Just Dashes in Kalifornia....they did a PERFECT job on that dash, and was still soft and perfect ten years later when selling the car.....it was like 500 bux in cost back then...today....:hissyfit::eek::censored::suicide: