'72 BOAT paint???

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Some guy painting his boat over 'there' and some clowns suggested BOAT paint, as in roller/brush application, and so the topside GREEN is apparently something I could roller on INTERLUX....shit, IF I can roller brush it on good as a BOAT would need, well.....

anyone ever actually work with boat paints?? much less INTERLUX???

they have a sea green that looks good enough, why not mix in some powdered aluminum/brass to give it that metallic and shoot hell out of it??? shit, IF a roller can get a decent finish, why in hell couldn't I even with a lousey touch, get a decent finish....not looking for show quality, but a 50/20 car is not so great....I settle for 5-5

:bonkers:

Well, at least the car won't get barnicles.

Will that be hard or ablative paint? Could be interesting in a rain storm if ablative.

That shit is vile, that's why I don't paint my boat anymore, they have marinas to do that stuff.

No idea what that stuff would do to the existing primer/paint.... do you know what you got on there now ? If you don't want to sand it all the way down you better topcoat it something that is compatible.

CF is for marine tech

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

If the manufacturer says not to use it, then why would you?

Well, primarily because they say the topside/color paints can be applied with a ROLLER/brush, that means the shit somehow levels itself out....just what I want. I"m no damn good with a paint gun, takes me about 20 attempts to shoot a freeking fender, then it still looks like shit.....

which is why if it has to be shot, my vette friend up the road can do it in his garage.....

one interesting thing he said yesterday.....pull off the wheels, and wash hell out of the fender liners, to make damn sure some dust/dirt don't get blasted out from there and on to the paint.....another trick I dunno nuttin' about....

easy do though....garden hose and a brush....

:waxer:

A friend of mine suggested the same thing. His remark was "I painted my motorbike gas tank with it", off course in dutch ;-). He was proud off the end result, "looks just like shoot with spray gun". Well I took a look, Damn that was some ugly paint even for a race motor bike. I didn't dare to use it.

Painting is an art, Gene, here's what you do. Get AAA. Prep the whole car, and call AAA to tow it to a body shop and have it sprayed.

Cheapest solution to best results.

Take out the inner fender wells and stuff.

you can roll on paint and it might look good (like the rustoleum job on cf two years ago)... however, the extra effort is not worth it

The gallon basecoat and clear is around $250 shipped... even if you buy a compressor and the gun like I did you can paint the car for $1000 and it will look better than a roller job...

you can roll on paint and it might look good (like the rustoleum job on cf two years ago)... however, the extra effort is not worth it

The gallon basecoat and clear is around $250 shipped... even if you buy a compressor and the gun like I did you can paint the car for $1000 and it will look better than a roller job...

Yeh, I need a couple of water separators for the comp, I have a Binks knock off gun for years now....my friend up the road did his green vette with it years ago....BRG NON metallic....looked like shit....the paint job was A-ONE, not the issue, the NON metallic paint looked like a freeking wall in a house....:bonkers:

so since he can handle that Binks....WTF...get him to come here and shoot it....

but the way he talks about the process it's like a week to do it....

which leads me back to flat/semi gloss black.....:bonkers::waxer::rain:

No Gene, once the primer is blocked and the body is straight you let the car 'dry' over night. Early AM you hang and tape drop cloth all the way around the garage, sweep and mop the floor.... degrease the car.... wax and grease remover..assuming it's already masked off...... wait 30 minutes, let it dry,... mix basecoat with reducer, spray base coat.... wait 30 minutes, spray another coat until coverage is good.... prolly 3-4 coats..... wait 1 hr.... spray clear..... one Saturday job..... should be done by 5PM..... let the clear dry for 3-4 hours and remove masking paper/tape....