floor damage repair ????

JeffP1167

I founf this on the right floor where your feet would be. Then after I lifted the jute padding on the left floor I found this damage (hole) .. What is the best resin to use for fixing this damage and is mat preffered or cloth?

passenger side

floordamage2.jpg

floordamage1.jpg

floordamage5.jpg

gloordamage6.jpg

Here is the damage to the drivers side floorboard. Around the hole the fiberglass is cracked as well but just hard to see in the picture.

floordamage4.jpg

Use the SMC stuff and crushed matte

both the 90 and 91 have the same damage from idiots jacking the car up by the floorboard

I've been looking at a few vettes with damage right in the same areas as mine. Is this a common problem due to structural weakness or coincidence?

The finer matte will be easier to work with but needs more layers, whatever you like, just cut sections and wet them before applying

The smc stuff is the correct resin

This damage is caused by jacking, the lower lip says jacking point but people put the jack under the tub, not the lip and jack away

Well, I ordered 2 quarts of the smc resin and some 3 inch rollers amd some crushed mat. wish me luck on yet another repair of this project car. This will also give me enough supplies to fix the 8 spoiler holes in the rear deck as well and some minor cracking on the "B" pillar by the corner of the back glass.

I got all my supplies to fix the floor today. This coming weekend I'm going to start repairing it so I can start getting the interior back in the car. I figure what I can do is cover some cardboard with wax paper and tape it to the bottom of the floorboards and that should make the repair easier. After everything is dry, remove the cardboard and put two layers of mat on the bottom of the floorboard. I'm hoping that will provide a strong fix.

Check out this thread. Aluminum duct tape as used for a/c ductwork was recommended.

http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2773

that is far worse then my floor damage, looks like a cat melted down and torched the floor and burnt the resin out of the mat. Doesn't look like he finished the car either, my main inerest is to just get the problem sealed because out here streets flood bad and where this damage is this car would floor very easily.

Last edited:
Lay paper all over the floor under the repair area, on the concrete....

drips will happen, and so I have about 8" sq spot of resin on my garage floor...

:shocking::censored:

Check out this thread. Aluminum duct tape as used for a/c ductwork was recommended.

http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2773

that is far worse then my floor damage, looks like a cat melted down and torched the floor and burnt the resin out of the mat. Doesn't look like he finished the car either, my main inerest is to just get the problem sealed because out here streets flood bad and where this damage is this car would floor very easily.

I was thinking that you might use the ac tape instead of cardbaord and wax paper. Just an alternative.

well I did some repair to the floor and it is coming out nice. Have to add some more mat though and do the bottom side of the car as well.

thanks for your help.

floorrepair1.jpg

floorrepair2.jpg

I was unable to add glass to the back side of my decklid because there is a U shaped reiforcement under the holes that were there. Will this fix hold? I know it needs to be blocked and what not, I have about 4 layers of mat in this area.

reardeckrepair2.jpg

Ok I have the passenger side floor almost all prepped for repair now and I am going to try and glass it all tomorrow. After I remove the heat shield under the floor I will make some sort of backing to lay the glass down on. After this is down I will do the bottom sides of both floors as well.

floorrepair4.jpg

floorrepair5.jpg

I started on the passenger floor today, this will take a lot more work to get it molded like it was originally. However mice can't get in the car anymore LOL. After the inside is done I still have to do the bottoms of both floor so still will take some time to be fixed correctly.

floorrepair10.jpg

floorrepair11.jpg

I sanded the bottom of the car a bit, contouring the floors is hard but worth it in the end since once undercoating is applied won't be able to tell there was damage. This side is by far the worse, you can see where I accidently over sanded and made a hole. I still have to lay a good 5 layers inside and probably 4 on the bottom of the car but it should be a strong repair when done.

floorrepair14.jpg

floorrepair13.jpg