69 Outside Mirror

TimAT

Addict, Cruise-In Bird-Run 1 Veteran
Anyone able to measure the distance from the top edge of the door and how far back on the door the outside mirror is? AIM is no help other than "existing mounting plate". And the length of the arm the mirror head is. I've got those little "sport" mirrors now and they are not worth the effort to mount them. Can't see anything.

You talking of those stock chrome POS?? I hate them too, the 'sport mirrors' I thought always referred to the late shark mirrors like I had....

the chrome things were about 4" to the rear of the shrouded mirrors...I"d have to pull some stuff down to get a real measure,

:friends:

I'm looking for the distance down from the edge of the door and then from the front of the mirror base to the front edge of the door. The PO installed the sporty mirrors and the left one is also a remote control thing- all the cables for it are just bundled up and zip tied inside the door. If the factory mirror will cover the holes then that pos sport thing is gone.

I'm looking for the distance down from the edge of the door and then from the front of the mirror base to the front edge of the door. The PO installed the sporty mirrors and the left one is also a remote control thing- all the cables for it are just bundled up and zip tied inside the door. If the factory mirror will cover the holes then that pos sport thing is gone.

P/O on my car had the POS chrome mirrors mounted further forward than the stock location, remember I had that bad spot that cracked and showed on the driver's door, where it WAS mounted from the factory, they even were two different mirror sizes, forget which was larger....but they are a PIA for a daily driver as always outta adjustment...one tap in a parking lot, down comes the pass window then to fuck around forever to make it useful....I went the later shark (sport?) mirrors VERY quickly, they covered the old mount holes positions with no problem, I can't help on doing the reverse....

I"d look into chroming the 'sport' mirrors be me, ....being a practical man....

:amazed::clobbered::harhar:

Tim, On my 68, the front hole for the mirror is 1.25 back from the "corner". The front hole is down 1.75 from this same corner (measured on the angled surface of the door). The corner is where the top of the door/front fender meets the window edge. There is a point there and that is where I am measuring from.

I sorta remember that the mirror position was moved from early 68 but that's all I have to go on.

On my 69 the front mirror mounting hole, measuring along the door top edge, 7.5 inches back and 1.5 inches down. The down measurment is from the top body line, not the ss glass edge. I hope this helps.

Thanks Guys! With those numbers, I can figure out where the original mirror is supposed to be. I think they're ugly as sin, but the height of the factory mirror will make it so I can at least almost see into the blind spot. No deal when the top is down, but with the top (or the hardtop) up it's nearly impossible to see. No deal for you southern guys, but once in a while I need some cover.

Here is a template for the chrome mirror pass side. You might be able to blow this up the right size and scale it, if it is of any use.

PassMirror.jpg

That's even better-- I'll bet I can make that full size, mirror image it with Photoshop and have the template for the left door too..

Thanks!!

I guess it's true that the early 68's had the mirror forward of that location (from the template). Mine isn't close to that at all.

I guess it's true that the early 68's had the mirror forward of that location (from the template). Mine isn't close to that at all.

I have an early production 69- it may be that the mirrors on that one were in the same spot as your 68.. Bottom line is I really don't care where it is, as long as I can SEE something hiding off the rear quarter.

Your post got me curious so I looked into it a little. My understanding is that the mirror was moved back on the door after 10-15,000 68's were built. Supposedly there were numersous complaints about visibility.

That's interesting. It seems a little odd to me that GM (or any car maker) would ever think of hearing something about how they built the product, and then do something about it that made sense. Usual game is get all the complaints, and either really screw it up or do nothing..

Your post got me curious so I looked into it a little. My understanding is that the mirror was moved back on the door after 10-15,000 68's were built. Supposedly there were numersous complaints about visibility.

That's interesting. It seems a little odd to me that GM (or any car maker) would ever think of hearing something about how they built the product, and then do something about it that made sense. Usual game is get all the complaints, and either really screw it up or do nothing..

Moved from foreward on door to more REAR on the door?? I like the forward location much better, better view, I think....

:crutches:

Moved from foreward on door to more REAR on the door?? I like the forward location much better, better view, I think....

:crutches:

You're right.
I mounted the pass mirror with the template and it would have been better a little further forward. If a shorter person pulls up the seat (wife), then there is no more adjustment left in the mirror.