why are the dash cluster bulbs so hard to pull out of the sockets 1990

JeffP1167

these things just won't come out. They look like common dash bulbs or is there a trick to this? even the small dic bulbs are very hard to pull out of the sockets.

I will assume you have the same bulbs as was in my '87, and my sockets were fried pretty good....I had to fix a couple of them, but it's only been near 20 years....don't remember more than that....

:amazed:

seems it uses 20 or so "161" bulbs for the dash cluster .... 7 "74" bulbs for the DIC .... 4 "37" bulbs for the C68 head unit. and a bunch of real small bulbs for back lighting of switches. all of these have to be pulled on extremly hard to get them out .... Is there a clip or something that locks the bulbs in place I just don't think the should be this hard to pull out.

I read a thread on removal and replacement of these bulbs and it said to use heat srink too pull them out and put the new one's back with heat srink but with no heat on replacement and not to touch these bulbs with your fingers as the oil from your skin will shorten thier life.

only a suggestion. It won't be fun if they have welded themselves thier.
luck is on your side