Door Pull Pulls Out

73 Mike

I'll drive it someday
This may seem like a small thing, but it pisses me off without fail. The lower screw on my driver's side door pull won't hold. I have to pull the door shut with my window open. The screw seems to grab ok but it just doesn't hold well enough to close the door. What is a good fix for this? I thought about beating the crap out of the door around the hole, welding a nut on or even putting a weld over the hole and retapping.

Ant clever suggestions?

Last edited:
This may seem like a small thing, but it pisses me off without fail. The lower screw on my driver's side door pull won't hold. I have to pull the door shut with my window open. The screw seems to grab ok but it just doesn't hold well enough to close the door. What is a good fix for this? I thought about beating the crap out of the door around the hole, welding a nut on or even putting a weld over the hole and retapping.

Ant clever suggestions?

You talking of the one that you have to open the handle a bit to slip a phillips screw driver in there???

I have so assume so, and the cast aluminum pivot has a slotted setup on it that shatters so that the latch is very difficult to get at that screw head.....

I gave up the battle, and they want a fortune for that stupid latch mechanism, so I gave up and spotted/drilled a hole just aft of the corvette emblem in such a way that I could insert a self tapping screw into the pivot block, it has a chrome head, so all I need is to tighten the new chrome screw, open the handle enough, and put in the factory screw.....

:crutches:

You talking of the one that you have to open the handle a bit to slip a phillips screw driver in there???

:

No, I'm talking about the plastic handle that attaches to the door with two screws that go through the door panel into the metal inner door. I think that if I remove the cover for the power window motor, I should be able to get a dolly in behind and beat on it some. This has anoyed me long enough that I was trying to avoid the beating route for fear of beating on it too hard.

nutzerts or they make a nut that you drill a larger hole (just like a drywall plug) and you tighten it in the hole, then insert your part on and screw it together normally..... I have them at home - I'll try to remember to get a picture of them tonight
or these folks
http://www.accuratescrew.com/info/BlindNuts.aspx

Otherwise, squirt liquid steel in the hole, let it dry, drill the hole then run your screw in normally.... I've not tested that method on a door pull, though, so use it at your own risk....

Yeh, that plastic door handle....I have a couple of nutz welded on each door, and the setup has never failed on my car....I would try getting a proper size nut/matches the screws....use JB weld on it to secure it to the inside of the door, on top of the other stripped out nut, I think those screws are long enough that you should be cool doing that....leave the door panel off and just attach the handle alone while the epoxy sets up.....

maybe drill out the welded in nut so there is no tendency to cross thread and tear up the new nut....

:nuts::hissyfit: