Drifter or pro-touring?

1985projectcar

Just picked up an 85 vette and I want to do some wild modifications to it, but I'm not sure which direction to take. I was thinking about making my car into a drifter with a bunch of carbon fiber goodies, front splitter, spoiler, side skirts, and rear diffuser. Or go the pro-touring direction with some very cool looking pro-touring seats that zipsportscars.com offers, lowering it down a few inches w/ some type of touring wheels and create a Ferrari killer in the twisty roads of CT. Any help or advise would be great.

Welcome to the motley crew of the Flying Dutchmen.....

Plastic is fantastic, but adding plastic don't make it fastic....

:cool::crutches:

Speed costs money, cornering/handling costs money, you started with a Vette, you going to have to have LOTS of money to actually improve on what GM engineering supplied, much less it is 24 years old....which is ok, mine is a '72......:lol:

Honest question based on experience from a olde tyme SCCA racer buddy for some ~40 years.....he used to show up in his old Challenger/Charger...I never could keep those two names straight) and go SCCA style racing.....his style was known back then as 'grandstanding'......sure looked fast, going around those corners with his tail hanging out tires squalling, 4 wheel drifting like a dirt track car.....

then a experienced SCCA racer took him along while driving my buddy's car....

knocked some ~10? seconds off Larry's best time on the first try, never driven Larry's car before.....

You have a decent car there, it's a SPORTS CAR, most guys in Sports Car Clubs of America drive fairly decent.....

it's a far cry from going slower round a turn, because you are drifting....

:crutches::sweat::stirpot:

I know everything costs money so I'm ready!!! So you like having bone stock cars on this forum? I'm looking to do something different than just a stock color paint job and weak tpi motor. I hate the look of the cars seats and I'm serious thinking about spending some money on swaping them out to a pro-touring seat. I'm not going to be racing professionally here just want something that will keep me in the seat while cornering FAST

Bone stock? This site isn't called VetteMOD for nothing!

No sense in upgrading the seat without at least a 4 pnt harness. Do you have a cage?

Yes, we have no eggroll

Why not put some of your efforts into improving the performance of the engine and suspension? I am sure that a hot cam, headers, cold air intake, stiff shocks and springs and so on could help your 85 be the Ferrari killer you want it to be.

You won't find much sympathy on this site for anything that even closely resembles a ricer or ricer type modifications. A few of us take heat for adding window louvers! Most of the guys here are into serious performance modifications. My car is real tame compared to most of the stuff you will see here. You wanted these guys to give you feedback and they did, just not exactly what you were hoping for was it? Ask them about engine and other performance related stuff and you will find a wealth of knowledge and experience.

So solly, yes we have no eggroll....:stirpot:

Not many drifters at VM:twitch:

Gotta agree with DV8, if you want to make your car faster and handle better, this is the place to be.

lowering it down a few inches w/ some type of touring wheels and create a Ferrari killer in the twisty roads of CT. Any help or advise would be great.

A suspension rebuild and ZR1 wheels (9.5x17 and 11x17 with 275-40 and 315-35) is a step in the right direction, not too expensive either.

Welcome :hi:

The suspension build up will be my first area to attack. What mods can I do to get the tpi motor pumping some serious power. I was thinking a complete build w/ a procharger p1sc

The suspension build up will be my first area to attack. What mods can I do to get the tpi motor pumping some serious power. I was thinking a complete build w/ a procharger p1sc

TT is unfortunately correct, the early pre roller iron headed engines were not a good basis for great performance increases....unless someone has updated that engine, I think you better off with a LS series engine, and 6 speed....for the money you are FAR ahead.....

I have a '89 roller truck block in my '72, but that was done 12 years ago, when LS engines were rare as hell and totally out of the question MONEY wise....

the power is in your favor today....say a 400 inch LS engine....jeebus....:devil: and them wheel/tires off ZR1 like mentioned above.....:devil:

For the money I'd go with a LS1 and 6spd as well, these engines are great even if you leave them stock :thumbs:

Now... a LS1 stroker with good heads and a hot cam....hmmmm..... sweet..... :devil: