Attn:69427-Light Weight Body Panels

68/70Vette

69427:

In regards to your relentless quest to reduce your car's weight...Just in case your checking account is starting to clog up with money...you don't want to have too much money in the account since an identity thief might take it.....Here's an opportunity to offload some bucks.

J&D Corvette makes a large number of repro fiberglass body parts for all years of Corvettes. They are now advertising that they will repro body parts in carbon composite fiber! Their website lists some statistics. Best I can remember a 84 pound fiberglass hood can be repro'd in carbon fiber with a weight of 21 pounds.

Unfortunately, replacing the hood is about the only low hanging fruit for a carbon fiber replacement. Replacing the other body panels with carbon fiber is very intrusive and would require a lot of dismantling and rebuilding. Any how the hood is fair game for a few pounds.

Haven't got a nibble on this one yet! I'm going to need to buy an entire front clip for my 70. It's presently just a bondo sculpture piece. I will out of curiosity ask how much this piece will cost in carbon fiber. And also ask how much a L88 hood would cost in carbon fiber. My guess right now is that fiberglass is all that's going to be in my future.

Last edited:
I'd love to see some CF parts for our antiques. The hood and t-tops are on my preferred list as they're either up front, up high, or both, and they're easily installed. While "excess cash" is not a problem I'm currently experiencing, I'm curious enough about this stuff that I'll have to check with these guys at J&D to see what kind of numbers they're asking for these type of parts.

A CF dash and door panels would be nice.