Mako Shark freak from Switzerland

Sharkey1807

Hello all together,

i just got today a info about this forum.
And as mods sounds anyway great here i am.

I'm from Switzerland, but work since many years in Romania.
Since 14 i was lost in Vettes. Purchased any 1:24 kit i could find.
The one i liked all the time most was the Mako Shark.

Had allready my 1st Vette with 25.
With a bank loan, yes i too name me today a bit stupid (but eh, was young then), i purchased my 72 Coupe. Only later found out about the VIN and motor-nr. it was a Lt-1.
Had it from 1989 till 2003 when i sold it. Men was i dumb then, especially for the price i sold it. Lousy 8000 swiss francs, but needed the money.

Then in September 2010 had the extremely luck to find a very complete and unmolested Mako frontclip. It was never installed on a car.
So i needed a Vette for it. Through that i found Steven M.Kuryla.
A very talented Fiberglass Guru and with tons of knowledgment for Makos.
1st we only etsablished he helps me to find a donor car and fabricate me a Mako rearclip out of his mould.
Then when i showed him photos of my aquired Mako frontclip everything changed by 100%. He was impressed that a very original frontclip from the 70s was found.
We established to send the clip to him that he can make a new mould with the newest technologies in mould creation for durability and stability.
He will replace with this mould a older mould he has.

So long words short, Steve is doing my Mako from zero.
We put up a website to show each step of the build up.
my signature forwards you to the site.

Steven will build finally 10 finished Mako Sharks. Mine will be nr. SMK002.

Any kind of comments are very welcome.

I'll start another thread in the respectiv forum to keep you updated here too.

Greetings
Robert

the donor car a 74
Corvettes%20In%20Southern%20California%20129.jpg

the 74 build down; very solid frame and birdcage.
After all is disassembled the car will be moved in the shop. But you know, dirt and debris has to be out of the shop that's why it's for the moment in the barn.
Afterwards the frmae will be prepared and painted.
Mako%20Shark%20Buildup%20Dec%2017%20013.jpg
Mako%20Buildup%20142.jpg

Some of the parts of my Mako front clip
Frontassembly02.jpg

The Mako Shark logos i carved out for left and right
Mako_Logo.jpg

Finally decided the interior also has to be custom. To see how my idea looks like i modelled all 1st in a 3D program.
It will be all out of fiberglass, painted in HOK Pagan Gold like the lower part of the body.
Then some inlays out of carbon like fiberglass.
The seat shells will get some seatpads in leather and put on the shells with velcro-tape.
design1.jpg
design3.jpg

Welcome to the motley crew......

Obviously by the group name, we enjoy your build there...wild interior for sure....this is going to be neat to watch....:clap::clap::thumbs:

Love the post here keep the photos coming.:) That front clip is out of this world cool!! Welcome aboard.

Welcome! Looks like you may have already found it, but I have uploaded an CAD file of the Mako logo here.

534c831d93b5a00.jpg

Looking forward to following the build.

Welcome! Looks like you may have already found it, but I have uploaded an CAD file of the Mako logo here.

Thanks for the file.
I allready modelled that Logo back then in spring 2009 in a 3D program out of a original picture of the Logo.

Did then a mould to reproduce it. The same for the Shark.

Greetings
Robert

Thanks for the file.
I allready modelled that Logo back then in spring 2009 in a 3D program out of a original picture of the Logo.

Did then a mould to reproduce it. The same for the Shark.

Greetings
Robert

Ummm...you going to make the sharks for resale?? if so, how much??

:drink:

Welcome to Vettemod.
Here a frenchy from Haute Savoie (some kind of neighbor) who moved to Quebec.
Your project look awesome.
You'll find tons of invaluable info and help here.

Robert..................... Welcome to the site !!! Lots of great vettes.... and ideas on this site. Along with the makoshark forum, lots of people are going to enjoy watching your build ! Rick:drink:

Finally decided the interior also has to be custom. To see how my idea looks like i modelled all 1st in a 3D program.
It will be all out of fiberglass, painted in HOK Pagan Gold like the lower part of the body.
The seat shells will get some seatpads in leather and put on the shells with velcro-tape.
design1.jpg
design3.jpg
Is there some kind of "swiss school" when it comes to interior design. Those picture strangely reminds me of some Rinspeed's creation.

design1.jpg
design3.jpg
Is there some kind of "swiss school" when it comes to interior design. Those picture strangely reminds me of some Rinspeed's creation.

Hehe,
and thanks.
I just like somehow organic shapes but while in general i like also the classic C2 and C3 instrument style tryed to combine that all.

About Rinspeed i had the luck to be born nearby Zürich. And there is also the Rinspeed showroom. When i was in aprenticeship i had once a week theoretical school in Zürich. Not to far from Rinspeed. More then once stayd in front of the showroom and watched those pretty cool Porsches (don't like in general Porsches) and other of his creations.

As the car stays in California and i'm here in Europe will have to do a mock up for the interior just out of measurements.
Hope finally fits all, but say should be possible. Even maybe with minor adaptions.

Ggreetings
Robert

Last edited:
Robert..................... Welcome to the site !!! Lots of great vettes.... and ideas on this site. Along with the makoshark forum, lots of people are going to enjoy watching your build ! Rick:drink:

Hi Rick,
i enjoy this forum very much. Lot's of open minded people here. That's great.

As soon i get some updates on my car will post them.
Last week not to much happened to the car while Steve was out of town.
If all goes well till end of this week the frame is getting sandblasted and then painted with POR-15.
And yeh then the cool part of the build up starts. Can hardly wait to see the fiberglass rearclip as work in progress.

Greetings
Robert

Glad you all as eager as me to see the progress.
And thanks for your warm welcome.

As Steve was out for 2 weeks wasn't too much progress. But still a ton of photos to upload of the whole downbuild. Next is the sandblasting of the frame and painting it with POR-15.

As i'm not the type just staying aside i was a bit creative.
Thanks to Steve and gene i got the correct measurements for the horn button.
Simply want to create a Mako specific horn button.
Next week will go to a shop and let them lasercut the mako-script and the shark.
Then do a silikon mould and cast them in polyurethane resin. Then just carve the shark threedimensional. But the shark and script on a round structured button in correct size and do a mould again. Well then some horn buttons can be casted in polyurethane resin and simply painted and place them with a doublesided taoe on the original horn button.

The other thing i designed roday was a logo for a Polo Shirt.
Will go tomorrow in the mall and let them execute, one for Steve and one for me.
T_Shirt_Design.jpg
Polo_Shirt.jpg

Greetings
Robert

Robert, you are in the shirt business.....

you don't sell a ton of those, summfin rong!!!

:yahoo::hi:

Hehe, no i'm not.
Just had a lazy saturday and didn't know what to do.
So i thought would be cool to have a shirt.

I'm not in shirt business. Here in the mall is a shop which is producing shirts about the customers choice.
Just will let them do one for Steve and me.

Hehe, no i'm not.

I'm not in shirt business. Here in the mall is a shop which is producing shirts about the customers choice.

OK, you should be in the shirt business.....:thumbs:

Hehe, no i'm not.

OK, you should be in the shirt business.....:thumbs:

Thanks for the compliment Gene.
Designing was all the time something i liked a lot since childhood.
Was never abble to make those 1:24 scale Vettes out of the box, all time changed something.
I like it individual, not those mainstream things.
But only for hobby. LOL.