Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Workshop > Restoration Techniques

Old 01-18-2010, 02:30 PM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keywestjack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
After sealing the lid on the can, it goes into the refrigerator. I have three cans of paint in my refrigerator right now, but I'm also not married any longer. Doing this has kept an open can of POR last several months, but that depends on how much has been used from the can.
Where do you keep your beer... I will try your suggestion, any savings can help. Thanks Jack
YES, Dear, those ARE car parts in the dishwasher....oven.....

Old 01-21-2010, 04:20 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keywestjack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
After sealing the lid on the can, it goes into the refrigerator. I have three cans of paint in my refrigerator right now, but I'm also not married any longer. Doing this has kept an open can of POR last several months, but that depends on how much has been used from the can.
Where do you keep your beer... I will try your suggestion, any savings can help. Thanks Jack
YES, Dear, those ARE car parts in the dishwasher....oven.....

You guys got the idea, it is slim pickins at my place. Even the roaches have it tough! LOL Good thing there are about six fast food places about a mile from my door.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:53 AM
United States | Member

If Your Car is gonna be a Garage Queen POR15 will hold up just fine , and so will the stuff in a rattle can. But if You are going to drive it expecially in the rain or Snow it will NOT hold up.
I spent a considerable amount of Money along with a lot of My time coating the Frame of My then new 2002 Silverado , I followed the directions to the T , used the Marine clean , and Metalready . I even cleaned with Metalready and wire brushed everything again 2 years later and recoated with POR15.
I live in the Rustbelt and this Truck is My dayly driver .It held up fine for about 5 Years then it just started to peal ,now Rust is everywhere POR does not stick to anything but Hands and Cement. The coating is very tough , but once it gets a chip Water and Salt get under it and the Rust will undermine it like Powder coat on cheap lawn furniture. You can grab a loose end and literally pull the stuff off in sheets. The only thing that I would ever use this product on is to waterproof a concrete block wall .
The one product that I have had good luck with is Rust Bullet and I topcoat it with Eastwood Chassis Black as it only comes in silver. Do a google search for Rust Bullet it's amazing stuff , adheres to almost anything and can be topcoated with other paints without having to buy expensive "tie coat" like POR15. I wish that I knew about it when My Truck was new.

Oh and by the way I also topcoated it with POR's topcoat semigloss black. And it still failed.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:09 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (2)

resurrecting a four year old post..........you must have been really bored one night
Old 08-05-2014, 04:05 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)

Always good to see old threads still getting some attention..... Now about POR15..... I've used it on my windshield frame and so far so good..... However, since then I've used a few epoxy primers and PPG DP epoxy is by far the best (my opinion)....... Even though that DP stuff is expensive, it's much more manageable than the POR15 stuff... It can also be topcoated with no issues.....

Another member (Mike,"red") told me this back in 2006 or so.....guess he was right about that DP epoxy......

Over the past years I've also used other brand epoxy:TCP global, Shopline, Eastwood .... Never had a problem......

Not saying POR15 is bad, just saying a Gallon of decent quality epoxy is only $100-$250 depending on what and where you buy...... When I bought that POR15 I think it was like $40 for the little starter kit that was like 8oz......

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 08-06-2014, 05:01 PM
United States | Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs77vet View Post
resurrecting a four year old post..........you must have been really bored one night
Not so much being bored, just didn't look for the dates. It was only the 4th or 5th one down on the first page . Lots of traffic here.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:41 PM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssuch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs77vet View Post
Not so much being bored, just didn't look for the dates. It was only the 4th or 5th one down on the first page . Lots of traffic here.
Very true, but the truth/knowledge base is much deeper.....

Old 11-08-2014, 10:33 PM
United States | Member

Well I take back what I said about it holding up on a Garage Queen , I sprayed it on the radiator support of My Corvette and I removed it a few weeks ago with the air gun. Oh well it still sticks to Cement.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:43 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (553)

I painted the chassis (back in 09). It has been, and still continues to be, in and out of the garage - but not on the Road & Track. The areas I did not coat with the UV resistant coat are a flat-ish chalky black. The other areas are fine. The chassis has spent the better part of the summer in the driveway while other projects took over the garage.

Cheers - Jim